Crate GLX series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate GLX series

I'm looking at a Crate GLX series 2x12 i need a 2x12 amp around the 500$ price range and so far this one looks pretty good and I'll be using it mainly for practice and was wondering if its worth it. and i also will be using a distortion pedal and mostly playing death metal. so if anyone has any coments or suggestions they'd be appreciated. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

thanx
    jay

Re: Crate GLX series

My brother has the GFX212, basically identical to the GLX version in all but appearance. For the money, it has been a good amp, but there are some negatives to it. I'm going from memory here, but hopefully this helps...

Pros:

+ Good distortion (for solidstate) suitable for thrash or death metal without a pedal
    + Built-in effects
    + Price

Cons:

- "Tube emulation" is far behind what other brands offer, so distortion is still clearly solidstate.
    - Connecting an external cab shuts off internal speakers, so you can't run it with a 2x12 cab
    - Noisy

The price is good, but Crate solidstate amps seem to lack the balls of some competitors. I'd say that the Peavey TransTube amps are better, if you can afford a little bit more money.
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X