Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sholtz Rockman stuff

Hey folks...
    Anyone have any experience with the old rackmount Rockman stuff? Is it capable of getting any other sounds than the standard "Rockman" sound? I dig using my old Rockman Soloist sometimes, but I always wind up playing Boston tunes because that's the only sound you can get from it. Just thought I would see if anyone else has used it in the past.
    Tony

Re: Sholtz Rockman stuff

Bump [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey,

I owned the Rockman XPR for years, which I think was the top of the Rockman line. It is pretty much a one trick pony and without a Tube Power Amp to warm it up is very Blah tonely. Used properly, you can good get a good 80's arena rock tone but not much else. They go for decent money used which could probably be spent better elsewhere. They have a collectable status because they are pretty unique sounding.

rich

Comment

It gets one distortion sound. Boston. It gets one clean sound. Boston.
        It sounds exactly like the record. It also gets totally lost in the mix in a live setting unless you are playing with other Rockman users.

Comment

"It also gets totally lost in the mix in a live setting "

This sums it up exactly!

rich

Comment

Respect the guy and at least spell his name right! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Tom Scholz. The guy is an electronics genius and a pretty damn good song writer/guitarist.

Comment

Very true! Few of today's young players
              realize how fundamental an innovation the Rockman was! You could walk to the park and jam with a cool sound via headphones!

It was also the beginning of the path leading to todays PODs and modeling amps!

Boston was also such a fresh, clean yet powerful force when they hit the music scene too; the sound is still fresh today
              but NOBODY sounded that clean live back then!

Scholz was also probably the first artist
              to actually make a pressable record in his home studio, which led to THAT revolution as well!

Hats off to Tom Scholz!! He is the Neil
              Armstrong of rock tech!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Well I highly disagree. I have a Rockman XP100 which is the full stereo combo version of the XPR.
                It kicks total arsss and it does more than just the "Boston" tones. Yes you can get that tone when you use the distortion on the amp but it is highly versatlie if you use other pedals in a clean amp. With three stages of on board EQ, Stereo FX loop, and a combined edgie tone of a distorted and clean tones at the same time. Plus an almost acoustic like simulator clean sound. I can get anything from cleaner than clean to Dual Rectumfrier distortion. Including the elusive EVH tone and well of course the cool tones of Boston.
                BTW I read an interview with Tom Scholz and he is still using his Rockman stuff live and the self hot rodded Marshalls in the studio. I always have been a huge fan of his and always wanted his tone. Well now I got it even when im not playing my Les Paul. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] When I want it anyway. I'll have to try to record some samples of it someday and post them some where. Its just a matter of recording it analog on a tape and converting it to digital. I think. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                I know others will disagree with me about the amp but It's mine and I've benn offered three times what I paid for the amp plus trades consisting of three amps and cash. So there is a market for them. There just isn't that many around. Also there is a differance between the tone of the XPR and the XP 100. The Rockman power amp does make a differance.
                Gil

Comment

I have a Rockman Distortion Generator (that I picked up for $10 at a yard sale [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ), and when cranked, it gets this badass Rust In Peace tone. Unfortunately, you also need a good noise gate to go with that...
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                  X