What would be better than a Boogie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be better than a Boogie?

Ive got a single rectifier and the sound was cool for a while but it just doesnt do it for me anymore. Im sure I could work on the sound a bit and I might end up keeping it anyways. There is this little ringing sound after I hit a note. Its very light but the faster I pick the louder it gets. Its been in the shop twice the first time they replaced 4 tubes and the second time they said nothing was wrong. I dont know if it was the cab or the amp. The cab also makes some funny noises. Im thinking of just selling the amp and cab and starting over. What would be a better amp than my Mesa Single recto? I know there should be tons but Im not talking like a $2000 amp here. Maybe the same price or a little more. Ive heard good things about VHT and stuff. I love heavy metal and play Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and any other type of 80s heavy metal. But I also want something that can be extremely heavy if I want it to be. Im looking for about 50 watts and Id like to buy it new not used. thanks folks and help a fellow Jackson slinger out.

Re: What would be better than a Boogie?

Not to ignore your question, but have you tried your amp through a different cab, or just taken your amp and cab to the tech and played it for him, and let him hear the ring? Or have a different guitar played through your amp? And when you say the faster you pick, the louder it gets...do you mean you just fret a note, and the faster you pick that note the louder it gets? I don't know if you could have feedback coming through behind your playing...that can definitely sound like a ring...

Cheers,
    Nick

Comment

also...if you want to talk to the Mesa tech...you can either call him, or his e-mail is:
      [email protected]

Cheers,
      Nick

Comment

RIVERA

Comment

I havent had the chance to try it through a different cab but I have used about 4 different guitars through it. I think the cab might be messed up also. Least time I heard this noise it was louder but the same noise and thats when I had 4 tubes replaced. Ill have to find another cab to try it through but not too many people I know have cabs. Most I know use combos.

Comment

If there's a shop nearby I don't think they'd have any problem with you bringing your head in to try a cab.

Cheers,
            Nick

Comment

2 boogies are better than 1 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I dont have the money for two but I wish i did. It seems like there is something still wrong with the tubes. And there is this buzz coming from the speakers or one speaker. Someone tried to tell me it was normal but its too bad to be normal. Last night I was checking out the Carvin Legacy. Anyone got one of those? Someone told me they werent good for metal but I doubt that. They arent too expensive either. Would that be a better amp than the Single Rectifier? I like to play really heavy metal, old school metal, rock, and a nice clean is fun too. thanks folks.

Comment

I've tried a couple of Carvin's amps (combos) in one of the stores. The Legacy didn't sound anywhere what I consider "metal" myself--didn't like it at all. The sound was just dull and blah, in my opinion. A net-bud of mine had asked me about them a few years ago. It old him I would guess, on its own at least, it's made for and does Vai stuff very well, but wouldn't be at all very good for the Metallica stuff he wanted to play. He didn't take my advice, got the Legacy, decided he pretty much agreed with me, and sold it.

The other Carvin I tried at the time sounded much better to my ears. I can't remember which one it was...silver faceplate, blue on-light I believe. Anyway, it was just a lot more "alive" sounding, more vibrant, with a pretty nice little edge to it. They have a tube one and a solid state one, I believe. I tried the new solid state preamp unit at Winter NAMM, and was surprised at how good it sounded and responded, at least with the lil setup they had there.

If you are looking in Legacy range, though, you might want to check into the Peavey stuff. I've heard good things about their newer XXX, XXL amps, and, of course, the good ole 5150 line.

Good luck,

Stu

Comment

Im looking for something that would crush a single rectifier and be in your face. This little ring/buzz is just killing me. And everyone Ive talked to about it says they dont hear anything and the amp tech said nothing was wrong. I cant even play it cuz it gets on my nerves that bad. Im thinking of maybe VHT cuz Ive heard they are pretty heavey metalish. I dont know what to do about this.

Comment

Ya man, the VHT Pittbull Classic 100 would get you their, especially for 80`s Speed Metal. I have a 1993 Combo with 2-Celestion Classic Lead 80`s and it is ripping, and if I want more low end, I hook her up to the Madison 4x12 and has tons of low end, actually too much for me, I am looking for a cab with GT12-75`s. Jack.

Comment

I was thinking more of the 50 watt version. I need something that can do rock, 80s metal, even nu-metal, and anything else heavy. I want something that can do about any metal or rock sound. A decent clean would be nice too. Where can I find VHTs and what do they usually run new?
                        Would the VHT eat my Mesa Boogie alive?

Comment

The 50 watt head will run you about $1600 new. There aren't many places that sell them, you'll have to look on their website.

Comment

ouch thats a good bit. So these things are pretty high gain big time metal monsters huh? Someone fill me in with a good review who has one.
                            thanks.

Comment

I have a dual rec rackmount/ a carvin quad x setup/ and a 5150 too. Try a 5150 if you have not yet. It has crushing distortion and can be found pretty resonable on ebay. The build quality is no boogie/vht/.solano....etc. but it does get the job done.

Comment

Working...
                              X