*sighs* help on deciding on a tone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sighs* help on deciding on a tone...

Hey...I can't decide on a tone here...I have a triaxis, so maybe already I threw too many tone options in my face...but I can't decide between the Lead 1 Red...which is supposed to be the Recto Orange channel...and the Lead 2 Yellow...which is supposed to be the Mark IIC+. I love how warm and smooth the Mark is...it has that "Peace Sells, But Who's Buying" feel...tight bottom, clarity and punch, it's a great distortion, but keeps everything smooth, no grit or screams...the harmonics stay warm, and everything's sweet. The recto is great too...there's more crunch and bite, the harmonics just kinda rip out and squeal, and it has a spongier, fuller tone, so it sounds better when I play Dream Theater...but then I feel like I have too modern a sound and I should stick to the older sound of the Mark...and I probably could push the presence a bit more on the Mark and give it a bit of an edge...but still...maybe I'll end up buying another Triaxis and blending them together...what do you think?

Cheers,
    Nick

Re: *sighs* help on deciding on a tone...

Why limit yourself to one tone???I also have the triaxis.I use the lead 2 red and also the yellow a lot.I also use many of the other ones.Your best bet is to get a midi board (if you dont already have one)and program your favorite sounds and just switch between them.At least thats what i do.I play o many different bands that its nice to beable to get all the different tones.Hope this helps.Paul

Comment

I don't know. I felt like I should be able to find a tone that I liked that could be my tone. I'd have my distortion tone, and my clean sound, I could have a rock sound, for like AC/DC or Blue Oyster Cult if I wanted - I could be happy with those. But you're right, I guess...it's just, different tones appeal to me for different reasons, so sometimes I'll think "this sounds great, but, it's missing what the other tone has" so I kinda go back and forth and can't find that point where I'm happy all around. Maybe that's being a perfectionist, or that mentality where you're "in search of the perfect tone" that I can call my metal tone. So yeah, I suppose you're right, though...if I want to play Dream Theater, why the hell not use a tone that suits it, and if I want to go back to old school, and play Megadeth or Slayer...get a tone that works for it...and then when you get in a band you can find your own tone. Thanks.

Cheers,
      Nick

Comment

I agree with Parntz, why limit yourself to just one distorted tone? I recently got a Triaxis and love it for its versatility. I generally use the Lead 2 Yellow for Leads and Lead 1 Red for Rhythm. But depending on which of my guitars I'm using, some sound better using the exact opposite. You can also get some great 80's type shred tones from Lead 2 Green. Check that out if you haven't already.

Comment

Working...
        X