suggestions for a new half stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for a new half stack

I wanted to get a half stack and i need some help on a new haed and cab, i play mainly heavy/ death metal like SUPERJOINT RITUAL, CANNIBAL CORPSE, SIX FEET UNDER, SOULFLY, and IN FLAMES.
    so for the head which is the best for this kind of music. PEAVEY 5150, PEAVEY XXX, PEAVEY 5150II, RANDALL CYCLONE, RANDALL TITAN, RANDALL WARHEAD, LINE 6 FLEXTONE II, MARSHALL DSL, MARSHALL TSL, MARSHALL MODE 4, MESA DUAL or TRIPLE RECTO, or any ENGL'S(not sure of the types) and for the cab a VHT, MESA, MARSHALL, PEAVEY, RANDALL, or ENGL?

thanx for any input

Re: suggestions for a new half stack

The Peavey 5150 and XXX, XXL can do that hi gain type of stuff, dont know Randalls, The Marshalls wont get you there, and I know the Mesa rectal fires ahve more than enough gain same with the VHT, as for cabs I'm not sure about the cabinets but i like the celestion 75 watt speakers.

Comment

Jon is absolutely right, you do not want a Marshall Dsl or TSL. I have one and It will not give you those kinds of tones.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Randall Warhead and peavey 5150 cab... I use that combination and it is metaller than anything else i have ever tried. The other guitarist in my band uses a 5150 head, and i often tease him because his tone cannot compare to my power.. I personally would go with a warhead because they sound the best to me. As far as cabs go, I choose the 5150 over anything else simply because it has sheffield speakers in it, which give me the best sound to date.. good luck [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Peavey XXX and Randall bottoms

Comment

$? the 5150 is a great choice & half the price of a single recto. randalls i would say go on ebay & get an RG100 head for around $250. thats what the warhead is based on it will nail DD sound. as for cabs the mesa recto (LARGE) cabs are great if not to me they are all the same when loaded with the right speakers ive got a randall w/celestion that ive abused for yrs & its still kickin. those marshalls are crap go with a JCM8/900.

Comment

5150 w/ 5150 cab NOT celestions!!!.......best of the bunch you mentioned ....especially for the $$$
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Although i dont have a Peavey tube head anymore, im a stong beleiver in them. They really can take a beating and have a great overall tone. The best part about them is, if you get them used, there a go for affordable prices. Even the older Peavey tube heads from the 80's seem to be great. I've owned 2 (a 5150 and an Ultra 120), and i did one of the dumbest things; I got rid of them. Check them out. Oh, and for cabs, check out Madison. They are dirt cheap, and great cabinets. I'll be ordering mine soon!! Good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I aggree ....but in that "been there done that 100 times" I must advise there is not a better cab for the 5150 than the 5150 cab.....The mighty Horned one knows that Iv'e tried many a cabs with that amp including every 4 12 celestion variation ..you can think of . The GT-75's come close but no cigar my brothers!!! They are voiced very similiar to the 5150 Shefields but that 5150 cab is voice and tuned to that head ......PERIOD!!!

Otherwise your tone will be somewhat cool and passable but not tight and focused as intended for that set up.

I own a Uberschall and if I did not have that for a giggin' head ....I'D have a 5150!!!

Iv'e owned Rectos , Soldanos , a Marshall warehouse , Randalls , Lee Jacksons , Bogner , Boogies and a crapload of 5150s

Iv'e tried that New Marshall V4 or whatever that piece of crap is called , Warheads , Cyclones , XXXs , Ultras , Carvins , PODS , Line6 Betas .......screw them all ! ....That's my opinion after playing/comparing these amps at great lenght repeatedly!!

If you have the means and finances get a Uberschall / VHT / Soladano SLO 100 / Engl / Rivera ..........or just save a TON o' money and get a 5150 half stack and a BBE 422 in the loop.........and thank me later!

These are my personal opinions basesd on my experence playing and owning these above amps in search for the holy grail of tone ....that really don't exist . A great amp can guide you there but you hands will take you where you want to go ....wherever that is [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Happy Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ July 04, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, what are your settings for the bbe 422 in the loop of a 5150?

Comment

/Well ...I don't own a 5150 now but I still use the 422 in the loop of my Marshall Monobloc 9200 / JMP-1 rig and the setting are basically the same as always .

I have the low contours dialed in anywhere from 2:30 to 4'o clock and Definitions at approx 1:00 - 1:30...I use both sides in stereo with my Marshall....but those settings where just as cool or better with the Peavy............5150s just LOVES 422s!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Tweeking!!!

[ July 04, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

I'm totaly getting a Randall RH100 head and a Randall 4X12 cab. I got to play around with one for a few hours and was hooked. IMHO it is a good split between a tube head and a solid state head meaning it sounds tubish and has alot of those charectoristics, but is solidstate and won't crap on you and cost you a load of cash. I use the extreme scooped mids tone and it handles it very well. All I have to do to get my lead tone is stomp on my EQ pedal and turn it off and use the amps on board mid setting. Good deal all the way around. As a matter of fact I will be purchasing it shortly.

Comment

A little BBE goes a long way, especially live/with an amp cranked. You can wash your mids out completely with one, and get lost in a live mix if you're not pretty careful with the settings.

Having said that, a BBE is a magic black box for any amp rig - not just a 5150. For the price, you can't beat one.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                          X