Rivera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rivera?

No problem. When you try them out, keep in mind that they are pretty complex and need some tweaking. By that, I mean that they don't necessarily work like other amps. I would go through their website thoroughly and maybe download a few manuals. Their quick reference tone charts are great places to start. My amp has one page for each channel and comes with an extra binder to set on your amp (though, I like the manual better.) Also, if you find a model that you dig, but it ain't perfect, contact Rivera and talk to Paul. He can help you out by recommend different tubes, mods, or he might even make one for you. Don't get discouraged. If you are find a Rivera that doesn't sound good it is either used/broken, worn tubes...or a head with a mismatched cab. If you are looking at new ones, and you are looking at heads, try them through different cabs.

Comment

Riveras are built very well, but be careful - some models do NOT have a lot of gain. I had a TBR that was about at JCM800 stock levels of gain, which isn't going to work well for metal without a pedal in front of it. Clean sounds are terrific. I think for classic fender/marshall tones, riveras are great. For metal, I think you might want to check out some other options too. Just my opinion.

Pete

Comment

Pete,

Whatever Pete....you are the man. By the way, I am not biased and your cut and pasting is childish and proves nothing. Rivera aren't the only amps that I like, but I do like pretty much everything they have. Why would I choose them over others? Besides the build quality and the tone (which are on par with the best...not necessarily better)I would choose them because deals can be had with RIVERAS due to the fact, that not as many people know about them. My amp was around $2,000 when it came out, but they can be found on Ebay for $600 mint because many people don't know what they are. Bogner and Soldanos wouldn't be available in that range because their names are more familiar. It isn't a bias thing. I would gladly play a Soldano or a Bogner or a Marshall, or a Fender....doesn't matter to me. I just think for value, Rivera can't be beat. You get tones, options and build quality as good as the rest and a fraction of the price in the used market.

The only reason I wanted to post a clip, is because the clip PROVES that it does metal. It just depends what "metal" means to each person. My only objection to your posts were that you seem to say in concrete terms that Rivera won't do metal.. that is where you are wrong. Typically I agree with everything that you say. I am sorry if you aren't down with that, but we can agree to disagree. I am tiring of your challenges.

MD,

Yes, I now play a Chris Duarte model, which I love. It still has the original tubes and sounds great, although channel one just went microphonic after at least 5yrs. I am going to replace my tubes this week. Even though I bought the amp used I called Rivera yesterday and one of the techs spent 20 min with me and was completely helpful. Their customer service is as good as their amps. I also had a R30 which was a cool little amp as well. I am jonesing for the new midi knucklehead. 3 channels of everything and midi...yum.

[ July 04, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: BigDaddyD ]

Comment

I stand by my earlier assertions - the original poster needs to check out the amps in person.

Also amazes me how someone can be called 'childish' for actually quoting someone's own words. Oh well. If you dig a Rivera, great. If you think they are underpriced, great. If you think you are unbiased, well...

I buy my amps for the tone, not for the cost savings. The amp either sounds good to me and does what I need or not... if it doesn't fit my needs, then no amount of "wow, I saved a bunch of money!" is going to make me feel better about the purchase.

Pete

Comment

I dunno Pete, I always ask the mailman for gear advice, whenever I can...sometimes I wait in the bushes beside the mailbox just so I can catch him and ask him a few quick questions about amps and such.

[ July 05, 2003, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Boxcar Willie 84 ]

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
              Riveras are built very well, but be careful - some models do NOT have a lot of gain. I had a TBR that was about at JCM800 stock levels of gain, which isn't going to work well for metal without a pedal in front of it. Clean sounds are terrific. I think for classic fender/marshall tones, riveras are great. For metal, I think you might want to check out some other options too. Just my opinion.

Pete
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't see how this statement is biased against Rivera in any way. He's just saying be aware that SOME models don't have a lot of gain, and to check some other amps too. He also said that they
              are very well built, have a great clean sound and are great for classic Fender/Marshall tones. What is bad about that? You could say the same about Marshall - if you play death metal a JTM 45 may not be your amp, either.

I have no bias for or against Riveras BTW
              and I do think the guy spending the $ has
              to play and hear for himself. One man's
              meat is another man's poison.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X