Randal Modular Preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randal Modular Preamp

Anyone try these things out? I tried one the other day and did't really care for it. The Measa Module was HORRIBLE, and the SL+ was only ok sounding.

I didn't care for the Ultra module either, the clean was pretty good though. I didn't get to hear the Ultra Plus and the Brown sound one, but I'm just wondering how much better they could be.

It sounded kinda muddy, and the bright switch on them didn't seem to do much of anything.

I also noticed that Randall stuff is a bit Pricey. It was 500.00 for a 2x12 cab.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Randal Modular Preamp

I own the original Egnater version of that preamp. The Randall version is called RM4, and the Egnater is M4. Randall licensed the tech from, and hired Bruce Egnater to help with those. He's just recently split from Randall to go back to more focus on his own stuff again. Anyway...

I have tried the Randall modules in one of their modular heads, I've tried the Randall modules in the Randall M4, and I've tried the Randall modules in my own Egnater M4. To me, the Randall versions don't sound nearly as good as the Egnater versions do. The Randall versions are much thinner and weaker sounding, to me, whereas the Egnaters are very thick and full.

Egnater makes some different modules for his own M4 that are different than the Randall modules. I have the Egnater VOX++, which is a super-hotrodded VOX and, in my setup, I use it for old thrashy Anthrax and "Puppets/Justice era" Metallica. I've also got the SL and SL++ (SuperLead and super-hotrodded SuperLead) modules, which the Egnater SL modules all have a "Voicing" switch that you press that changes them from being SuperLead voiced to Plexi voiced--like 2 modules in one. I use these for "Kill Em All" Metallica. And, I have the ERECT (Dual Rec) module that's, well...obvious hehe...and I use it for "Black Album" Metallica. I've tried other modules, too, but ended up liking these best overall for what I wanted. You might notice I have NO clean modules. The SL module can actually get a "good enough" clean sound for me if I turn the gain way back, turn up the volume, and tweak the EQing some. I'd like to get a clean to mess with sometime in the future, but I play so little clean, it wasn't a priority hehe.

For anyone looking at buying one of these things, I'd say, get the Egnater version if at all possible. It only comes out to being a couple hundred more at most, and is just a better setup overall.

But, I would say, you do have to take these for what they are--replications of the real amps. While I've never played an old SuperLead or Plexi, my guess is that people don't play them for "thrash" without some outboard gear. The same for most amps, I think--most people use them with outboard gear, and the same should be expected with these modular preamps and modules. For most people and situations, I think the amp itself should be seen as "tone generator", there to get you a basic sound that you like, then, learn and understand how to add other pieces of gear and tweak it to get exactly what you want out of it. I guess that's kinda obvious if you look at my setup hehehe...

http://hometown.aol.com/stutdavis/page3.html

Stu

Comment

Working...
    X