Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Rack World.

Heya guys -

Just had a BBE 422a recently and LOVE it.. I was wondering what other rack gear would be good investments (Im a college kid, so I also need to be budget wary). I was looking at a ADA MP1, and maybe a noise gate of some sort.

Any other recommendations/opinions/etc?

thanks for your time.

btw: does anyone else's Crybaby wah KILL the top end of their tone, even when off? I just picked one up, and my tone is missing its high end.

~eric

Re: New to the Rack World.

If your high end has disappeared, double check the cables, they maybe bad or slipping out of the jacks. I've got an Original Crybaby and I got plenty of highs.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The MP-1 and a noise gate would definitely be a good place to start.

Pete
      www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

Eric,

Silly question time...what are you using for a power amp? Are you going all-rack, or a rack combined with a combo/head kinda thing?

It's all based on budget. The ADA MP-1 is where a lot of people start, since it's a well known gizmo known to have been widely used. The suck thing about rack stuff is there's not a whole lot of new stuff you can just go to a store and try out--you end up shelling out the bucks before you can know if you like something at all. It can be frustrating, but also lots of fun. When you get something, pay CLOSE attention to exactly what you like and dislike about it, so if you decide you want something different, you can come on and say, like "hey I have a ____, but I'd really like something that has more _______ or sounds more like ______". It's always best to know where you're at, and where you want to go. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck,

Stu

Comment

right now im using a fender deluxe 112 plus combo as a preamp/poweramp, with my rack in the effects loop. eventually, i want to ditch the amp completely, but money issues, and space issues (1 year of college life left) prevent that.

Essentially, Im looking for a nice clean tone ( i currently use the clean channel on the amp, with a EQ pedal, and sometimes some chorus), and a warm distortion (think Fade to black's intro solo), and a heavier distortion (think Rammstein's "du hast"). From what i've been reading, the MP1 should be able to accomplish this. If not, perhaps a carvin QuadX would.

thanks for all the help so far!

~eric

Comment

The MP-1 will need an external EQ to shape the tone. The built-in EQ is ok, but only as a simple start. This minimalism preserves the tube tone, and besides, it was originally designed back when "everyone" was doing racks.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey Eric,

You can get a setup like mine for about 2 grand [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Is that in your budget, HAHA Just kidding with you.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
              X