Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with a Behringer 4X12 cab.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a Behringer 4X12 cab.....

Looks like ol Sarj is getting taken to the cleaners again. The nest egg had to be robbed to pay some bills. I was going to get a Randall RH100 1/2 stack, but now I'm about $500 short. I was originaly going to get a Behringer 4X12 cab and hook up to my CRATE GX120. My questions are the following,

1. Will my CRATE be able to power a 200 watt cab?
    2. Will the 2x12's in the CRATE turn off when plugging the Behringer cab in?
    3. Will I be able to turn my amp up past 2 without getting a bunch of crappy cab buzz or the tone getting thin, etc. ?
    4. For $199 is the Behringer cab worth it?

I know there are better choices out there, but I need to use my amp to it's potential. My amps cab sucks and is basicaly nothing more than a partical board structure that hold 2 crappy 12" speakers in it and the head which I actualy like. I want a bigger sound and more volume. For the time being will the $199 Behringer cab do the trick?

Thanks everybody in advance.

Re: Need help with a Behringer 4X12 cab.....

The Behringer cab will be fine. The crat ewill be able to power it just like any other cab and some of the Behringer cabs have Celestions V30's in them. As for the speakers cutting off they may still work but then you'll get full power out of the crate. It's only about 80 watts at 8ohms and 120 at 4ohms. It runs at 8ohms normally so if the Behringer cab is 8ohms you wont have any problems.
    Gil

Comment

I have the BG412S. Jensens speakers, sound very tight. I run a Traynor YCV 80 watt combo through it. (I have the combo speakers disconnected). I think they sound better than any Marshal cab I’ve owned or compared back to back. Two draw backs are...Casters are useless, I just took mine off cuz they have good rubber feet, but new casters aren’t much. Other thing is it's heavier than most cabs due to the dense material they use. (E1 MDF boards) However the material is what makes this cab so resonant, even though it's probably used because it's cheaper than birch ply. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The speakers alone are that much. Go for it and save some chash. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

the behringer cabs are 400 watts handling and I power mine with a 100 watt head [peavey XXL] it works and sounds fine awesome cab forsure cause each jensen speaker is 100 watts the ****ing thing is bloody super heavy , awesome cab though //Steve

Comment

You should have no problem powering that cabinet. There are 5 watt heads that could rip your head off when plugged into a 1/2 stack. If the speakers turn off you may need to do some easy custom speaker wiring but if they sound like crap it is probably better off that they aren't on anyway. Go for it. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I just checked it out and I plugged a patch cable into my speaker insert and the speakers do shut off. I was also told that the 120 watt Crates do push an 8 ohm cab very well and Crate actualy says in a description of the GFX120/GX212 that it can be used in conjunction with a 4X12 cab to make a great 3/4 stack. Crate made a false statement there because the speakers shut off so it is still a half stack that has a head with 2 dead speakers. That's what I wanted it to do anyway because older Crate cabs can't handle any vibration at all. I know a guy who is going to go to a truck bed liner place and have his cab incased in thick bed liner rubber and then put it back together. Might work. I guess I'll drop the cash on a Behringer cab ASAP. Thanks everybody. I'll give a full report on how it sounds as soon as I get it.

Comment

If the combo has more power at 4 ohms than at 8 then it's likely designed for the combo speakers to be active along with the 412. Before I disconnected the Crate speaker I'd make very sure you're not going to hurt the amp by depriving it of the expected load. You need to talk to someone at Crate or who knows your particular amp. Do the amp's speakers connect directly to the speakers with wires and clips, or with a 1/4" jack and
              plug?
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X