JCM 800 vs 900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 800 vs 900

Can someone tell me the difference between JCM 800 and 900? Which one is better for Death Metal?

Re: JCM 800 vs 900

To keep my answer as simple as possible, for death metal go with the 900. It has a more modern tone and they usually have considerably more gain than an 800. With that said, I like the tone of the 800's better myself.

Comment

You may want to consider the SL-X. It's basically a JCM900 with an extra gain stage, and you can stack the gain for a really over-the-top metal crunch.

Comment

Cris, I rarely see them for sale with the extra gain stage, do you know where one is? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

while neither is a great choice for death metal, the 900 does have more gain. however, i too agree that the 800 sounds better.

Comment

For budget deathmetal I would suggest a Peavey XXX an XXL, an Ultra or a Supreme. Randalls and Laneys have tons of gain too.

Comment

Thanx for the answer guys!! I really appreciate it. I don`t know what exactly am I going to buy. I`m just thinking about different options. I should of get a new Framus Cobra and matching cabinet new for around 1500 $(and that`s a great deal!!). But I have borrowed some money to my dad, as he needed it and told he`ll have it back in a few days. Well, he didn`t. And now I`m in a situation that I have to buy something cheaper. There`s an JCM900 with a 1960 cab that I might get for around 600 if I got lucky. I`d like to buy ENGL Savage 60 + ENGL cab, but don`t know for how much it would go on German ebay(I`m in Europe). We`ll see........
              What about if I get that JCM 900. Are there any pedals that would make it more suitable for Death Metal?

Comment

Once on german I saw ENGL Savage 60 for around 300 (if I remember correctly), without cab of course... Damn I`am in Russia and relatively difficult to buy there. I think that in germany finding ENGL not a big problem...

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                  Cris, I rarely see them for sale with the extra gain stage, do you know where one is? Thanks-Jack.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The SL-X is basically a JCM 900 with cascading gain and one extra preamp tube - maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. It just has an extra gain stage over the JCM 8000/900. Look on ebay - you'll see them on there quite often - usually aroudn $500-600 or so.

Here's one that went STUPID cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=38075

There's none for sale at the moment, but watch - you'll see them.

Comment

Originally posted by warhead:
                    Thanx for the answer guys!! I really appreciate it. I don`t know what exactly am I going to buy. I`m just thinking about different options. I should of get a new Framus Cobra and matching cabinet new for around 1500 $(and that`s a great deal!!). But I have borrowed some money to my dad, as he needed it and told he`ll have it back in a few days. Well, he didn`t. And now I`m in a situation that I have to buy something cheaper. There`s an JCM900 with a 1960 cab that I might get for around 600 if I got lucky. I`d like to buy ENGL Savage 60 + ENGL cab, but don`t know for how much it would go on German ebay(I`m in Europe). We`ll see........
                    What about if I get that JCM 900. Are there any pedals that would make it more suitable for Death Metal?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Get the SL-X - you'll be happier. I had a JCM 900 and found it pretty lifeless - but that may have just been mine. I hated it. Biggest waste of MY money - EVER! You might get teh gain you're looking for with the SL-X without outboard distortion pedals. Add an EQ pedal, and you may get something close to death metal tone.

Comment

Ther last good Marshall was the JCM 800 series after that ....it was ALL down hill from there ....

...I owned a brand new JCM 900 for about a week ....HORRIBLE thin fuzzy sounding piece of crap ...and what the SLX is is just a fuzzier / mushier version on that sound....I know of what I speak..

Get a JCM 800 and a Korg Hyper Dist or Boss DS-1 or something .....that setup is the sound of Bay Area Thrash and practically every Death metal sound imaginable through the entire friggin' 80's

Fear Factory ...was a JCM 800 and a stomp box in the front..

800s have a much more beefier and ballsy tone than the anemic 900s .....very thin and brittle

Don't get me started on DSLs....... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yup! I have a modded JCM800 and I get a Slayer tone WITHOUT any pedals! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I got the money back from my dad!!!!!
                          I am getting Framus Cobra after all. Hip- hip- hurray!!!!
                          Can`t wait to have it in my hands!!

Comment

Working...
                          X