Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

Hey guys, just wondered what you all thought of the Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier head. How good is this for neo-classical tones? thanks

Re: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

Ehh.. it could do it.. but I think it'd be a little too slushy for your tastes if you're an Yngwie fan like me.

Check out Yngwie's signature Rhino amps.

Comment

Yea, a Rhino would do, for sure. For a Yngwie tone check out JCM800's, or a Metaltronix. Those are also prety good for Neo-classical (with the right preamp).

Comment

hmm i checked out that amp yall are talking about, its only $800 which is nice. only 50wats and single channel though

Comment

50 watts and single channel. Just like Yngwie.

Comment

Either a Rhino Black Star, Marshall Plexi with a DOD YJM308 in front of it, older 800's or you can always use what Yngwie uses when he does clinics; the Fender Roc-Pro 1000. There are even some older SS Crate amps that Yngwie endorsed that nailed his tone. A Mesa is pretty far away from the neo-classical tone that Yngwie has. A Marshall voiced amp will do a much better job.

Comment

I will comment here that Mike Romeo gets cool - if super-compressed - neo-classical tones out of Boogie stuff. For the record, my TRec isn't "sludgy" at all. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Mike
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Michael Romeo's tone is very compressed and overdriven. I would consider it typical for that style of music (although his playing is anything but typical [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] ). Yngwie's tone is actually very clean with virtually no compression. Especially his earlier albums. I think the key to nailing Yngwie's tone is using 50w amps, slamming the front end with a good preamp (like the DOD 250 or YJM308) and using a fair amount of large hall reverb with a touch of 300ms delay. Of course single coils or dual stacked single coils help alot too. I don't think the Mesa is sludgy at all. I have a Dual Recto and it rocks big time! It just doesn't do the Yngwie tone which is mainly Marshall based. Personally I think a Marshall and a Mesa are as far away from each other in tone as it could get. They do sound fantastic together though in a 2 guitar band.

Comment

thanks for all the help. Im really considering the rhino blackstar but the only thing holding me back is its lack of a clean channel.

Comment

Get creative. Use your volume knob like Yngwie does.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That is exactly what YJM does. His sound is much cleaner than most people think. He can roll back his volume and get almost totally clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                        I will comment here that Mike Romeo gets cool - if super-compressed - neo-classical tones out of Boogie stuff. For the record, my TRec isn't "sludgy" at all. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Mike
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually Michael Romeo has been Line 6 for about 2 years now
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

According to people who were in the Dungeon with him (the Dungeon is the name of his studio) he is in fact using the ENGLs and Mesas.

I'm betting he's using the Line 6 head live so that he only has to carry one box around, rather than a head, rack, pedals etc... but I don't know that for sure.
                          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Not in the studio. Live he uses Line 6, in the studio it's a combination of Boogie and ENGL.
                            ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Matt is he really? I know he is using the engl model on his vetta live. Kinda funny most guys are opposite with L^ stuff using it in studio and not live.
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                              X