Mixer Boards/Power Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixer Boards/Power Amps

I'm looking for a mixer board 18-24 channels, passive. We are not looking for top-of-the-line and for that, not the bottom-of-the-barrel either. Something that produces a nice sound and that is durable. Our band consists of 2 guitarists, bass, vocals and drummer. All of us sing backup and will have our own mikes. The drummer does want to add some mikes to his kit.

As I look at different types of mixers, should there be some basic capabilities that I sould be checking? Is having the built in sound effects just a waste of money? Can anyone recommend a decent mixer.

Also, I'm looking for a 500-1000watt power amp to go along. Any ideas on this as well.

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: Mixer Boards/Power Amps

What exactly do you mean with passive ? I never heard that term while talking about mixing consoles. Do you mean it should be a line mixer ? That would be the wrong choice for your application since you mentioned that you guys got quite some mics in use. So you will need some mic preamps on your channels.
    The Mackie 8bus mixing consoles are quite nice, so is Soundcraft. Soundcraft has a lower line which is called spirit, maybe you want to check them out. The "real" Soundcrafts can get a bit pricey. Stay away from Behringer, they aren't build solid and they are quite noisy.
    It also depends on what you want the mixer to have. You already told you want to have 18-24 channels but what about aux sends and subgroups ? What for EQ's do you want ?

I wouldn't buy a mixer with build-in effets. Normally all those mixers with build-in effects are low quality mixers. Most better mixers don't have any build-in effects since people using them always want to use stand-alone effect units which are much better.

I don't know much about power amps so i won't give you some advice here, sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Sometimes i really wonder if some of you guys read the answers in topics you started.
      After all i am still not sure what the thread creator meant by using the term passive while talking about mixing consoles.

Flo
      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Get one of the Carvin packages with the built in effects. Insta-PA! Not exactly the best stuff, but tools are only as good as the person using them. Focus on 'everything you need' packages and you should be fine.

If you don't have more than a passing knowledge of this stuff, trying to piece something together will just piss you off and empty yer wallet (multiple times).
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
        X