Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a bass cab work with a guitar amp head??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a bass cab work with a guitar amp head??

My friend gave me a 1x15 workingman's bass cab and i was wondering if it will work with my VHT UL , or is not a good idea to mix because , from i have heard if you run a guitar into a 15 incher that the sound is way more bassy and much more low end.

Re: Can a bass cab work with a guitar amp head??

Well I don't see why it wouldn't work, but a wise old man once said to never mix guitar equipment with bass equipment. I doubt it would blow a speaker out of a bass amp because they can handle the watts but the sound would probably be not very good since most guitar amps work better with guitar amp designed speakers. Anyway the best way to figure out is to try it, so you might as well give it a whirl.

Let me know how it does. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well make sure the impedance matches . That's a SWR cab and I don't know what that speaker is rated at ...probably not much.

When The Randall Warhead came out it was a cool concept to add a Sub woof cab to a stack...

You could try adding that cab with your existing 2 -12 or 4 12 guitar cab ....

....I try it at low volume if anything .....

I assume it would sound like crap by itself not voiced for midrange guitar frequencies....but it may add bottom to an existing cab ...I should try that
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Whatever wise old man told you never to mix guitar and bass equipment was actually pretty damn stupid. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It's all the same s**t. There are some differences in the way things are voiced and the frequency response of the speakers, but that's about it. Set your impedance right, hook it up, and see how it sounds. There is absolutely no reason not to.

Comment

Right now I have my POD hooked up to my power amp which goes into a 2x10 bass cab (I run my bass through it every now & then through the Tube Power Amp setting). It works for guitar settings too, but not very well. The voicing is WAAAYYYYY off to be sure. Mine has a tweeter as well, which is painful to hear unless it's turned almost completely off. It just doesn't sound right, but if you need it to get by, it'll work. Just DON'T run a bass amp through a guitar cab. If you push the speakers at all, they'll never be the same.

Comment

Well he told me he was wise anyway... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I've run bass amps through my cabs before with no problems. A Concert Lead is about two capacitors from a Concert Bass anyway. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] As long as you don't overdo it, you can do anything. If you crank your bass amp and the guitar cab starts farting, turn it down. Before that point, you're good. It's not going to blow anything up. Well, it's never blown any of MY stuff up... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Willman_51: Yeah, see, realy wise men don't say they're wise. They just answer everything really vaguely. So if you asked if he was wise he'd be all like "Some may say that the flower that grows on the North side of a tree in spring is hiding from the polar bears and pickles." Now THAT is wise. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd say that's a wise idea for all aspects of sound reinforcement and amplifying; if the speakers make farting noises, turn 'em down! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Sorta like "love thy neighbor as thyself"
                but for gear! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, guitars are fine through bass amps, but a bass through a guitar amp is not that great of an idea (and as has been said, you'd need to keep the guitar amp at a lower volume to handle the bass guitar frequencies better).
                  I used to play my guitar through a bass amp and guitar amp at the same time... I'd run into an overdrive pedal then into a stereo chorus pedal, one output of the pedal went to one amp, the other output went to the other amp. The low end of the bass amp mixed nicely with the midrange and highs of the guitar amp.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X