ok, preamps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ok, preamps.

I think that is exactly the basis for why a guy like Blues Saraceno and his Dad built their own amps, the "Dirty Boy"

Really, the reason why alot of amp guys (like Marshall, or Traynor) started to build amps was so that the local pt musician did not have to spend an arm & leg to get a Fender sounding amp for the gig.

To me Blues has one of the best guitar sounds out there. His approach to their own amp was to build one that would do all and cross them over instead of having a Mesa for Mesa stuff, a Marshall for Marshall, a Fender for Fender etc...not to mention the umpteen variations on those.

I quit playing for a long time.. went from FT to off the face of the earth to PT again. JCM 800's were the new kid on the Marshall block and 5150's were to come out shortly after, what was it mid 80's for the first edition?
    When I came back, the first thing I wanted to invest in was Marshall... well that and a Charvel. I didn't even look at the Peavey, tried a handful of JCM's... again, hit and miss.

I can see your point as well. Boutique is glorified same ole, same ole. If I invest in something.. it has to affordable..'cause I ain't rich. So I do my research and keep my eye open, go and check out at the local Music Go Round or whatever.

I'd be at the same point I think Stu said earlier. Yeah, I could sell a few amps and get a killer Mesa rack rig.. but then I'd probably miss out on what I managed to tweek from the amp setup I was using by adding this little thing or that to boost the sound.

So tubes, will they make ya or break ya?

Well, if you have a good amp and crappy tubes, how do you think your amp is gonna sound? I'm happy with Svetlana or JJ's/Tesla/Ruby's... it doesn't have to be a few hundred or more spent on Mullards to get the job done.

Comment

Working...
    X