Powering up Tube AMps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering up Tube AMps

this is prob a dumb Question, but when powering up a tube amp...which switch is thrown first?..standby or power...if someone could tell thatd be cool...i have been playing a line6 flextone II head for a while and ima thinking of moving on to a mesa Dual rectifire....thanks

Re: Powering up Tube AMps

Turn the power button on but leave it on stand-by so the tubes can warm up. I let them warm up for about 5-10 minutes. Then plug in and turn the stand-by to on and you're ready to go. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

5-10 min? does it make a difference how long it warms up? i thought it was just long enough to get the tubes warm initially so they can start doing their thing. but i do notice my amp sounds nicer the long i play it

Comment

The longer you let it warm up, the longer your power tubes will last. I try to let mine warm up for 10-20 minutes, when possible. At gigs, I'll turn the amp on and leave it on standby for 2-3 hours, sometimes. They just sound better the hotter they are. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

warming up: I normaly turn my amp on stand by then I warm up then I turn my amp on (5-30 mins)

dont forget warm down you amp to (leave in on stand by for a few mins then off)

RaR!

Comment

So correct me if i am wrong....then u turn on your power switch and let the tubes warm up...after a while u turn the standby switch on???...also i have seenat a bunch of concerts i go to that when using tube amps the bands that come on after usually have their amps on durring the whole show...long before their set.

Comment

That's exactly right. Turning on the power, but leaving the amp in stand-by turns on the tube heaters, so they're nice and warm when they take normal current through them.

Pete? Help on why this is a good thing?

Mike
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I've been told numerous times just let it warm up about a minute minimum, so I usually let my tube amps warm up about 1-3 mins. Not all the time though I have let it warm up for awhile, just simply cause I forgot I turned it on. I flip the standbye before I turn the amp off when Im done playing, but for the most part I dont keep it that way for long before I turn the amp completely off, its usually a one-two thing. I've had tube amps for awhile and never had any problem with either of them. My tubes seem to last fairly long too.

Comment

Working...
                X