Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the market for a very small tube amp!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the market for a very small tube amp!!!

I have heard the Soldano Atomic 16 is a pretty decent sounding tube amp. I haven't heard one myself yet but I think I may pick one up. They use EL84 power tubes that compress pretty fast. And Soldano is known for that hot rodded marshall tone to boot. But Pete would probably custom tune to your specs. Don't quote me on that but Pete has been great with any tubes he has sold me. And he definitely knows tone.

][:o)#

[ July 24, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Soloist1 ]
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Re: In the market for a very small tube amp!!!

Do you like Marshall JCM's? If so, im sure you can find a store who still has a DSL 201 20w combo in there system somewhere, they were just recently discontinued.

Comment

I think soldano has a 20, or is it 40 watt head? I dont know, just trying to throw ideas out at you.

Comment

Talk to Pete (Twisteramps), he has a link on the dealer page. I got the SE F2 from him (10 watts) and its a great little amp. Might be what you are looking for. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

In the market for a very small tube amp!!!

I own a 50W Marshall solid-state combo that will probably never have its volume put past 2 when jamming with friends or past 1 when practicing alone. I bought it originally because I thought power equated to great tone.

What I'd ideally like right now is a fantastic little tube amp, very low wattage so that I can crank it and not disturb my family when practicing at night, and have a screaming warm lead tone. I would also love a direct recording capability and have it able to hook up to my current amp's 12-inch speaker somehow (or have its own nice speaker) or to my GT-6 for effects when recording. I've read about Pete The Amp Wizard's tiny monsters and heard a few clips and loved them. They're also prices that fit a starving student's budget which is great for me.

What I'm looking for in tone is the same great classic-sounding Marshall crunch I use for playing Maiden and Priest songs, but be able to crank the gain a little bit for that dirty Marshall tone that I use to play Suidakra songs and other more modern metal. All this I can achieve on my current amp with pretty good success. What I hate right now is the lead tone though. It is harsh and pretty thin and makes me not want to play solos.

Would a small quality tube amp remedy this? Any recommendations, small-tube-amp-related or otherwise? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Swillmaster:
            Talk to Pete (Twisteramps), he has a link on the dealer page. I got the SE F2 from him (10 watts) and its a great little amp. Might be what you are looking for. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the props! Hey, btw, when you get a chance... send me an email if you would. I'd love to hear what you think of the built in power soak and how you've been using yours. You sent me a pretty happy email right after you got it, but I'd like to hear what you've been able to do with it since. And soundclips... *grin*

Pete

Comment

Zvex nano head. It's the size of an mxr pedal and is 1/2 watt. It's perfect for bedroom practice. It costs about $400 though.

Comment

Yikes $400 for a 1/2w amp? Might as well buy a good kit and build it yourself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Get one of the little Fender Hot Rod series amps. I've got the Pro Jr. It's 15 watts with a 10" speaker. You can get these for like 200 bucks. It's a great blues amp by itself. I put a Celestion Vintage 30 in mine and with a DS-1 (or your favorite distortion pedal), you can make this thing sing.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                  X