Laney amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney amps?

Does anyone have any experience and solid opinions on what the Laney Valve heads can and can't do? I think I'm in the market for any of the following three the GH100L, VH100r, and the GH100TI (iommi sig model). They are in my price range. and I'm just wondering if they sound like butt or not. The harmony-central reviews have been very promising.

Re: Laney amps?

The GH100L is skull****ingly orgasmic. I've owned one for about 2 years now and it's sounds better than my Egnater TOL preamp and my 5150. It has very nice cleans and the distortion can be from 80's style crunch to full on death metal style. I'd say it's the best head in the price range. I'd say definitely look into one! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I played a GH100L also and it was a total monster. Tons and tons of gain. Everything from crystal clean to extreme death metal with no pedals needed.

Comment

tons of gain eh? How does teh distortion sound though? is it extremely tight or is it all Wide ass opened. What amps would you compare the sound to? Marshall DSL or like a VHT type of saturation. If it can do an opeth type of sound....then I"m happy. If that's the as brutal as it gets..I can always push it with a pedal too. It's not big deal.

Comment

Hey there,during rehersal I still use my Laney GH50L,it has really great tone,and I use it to play death metal,not just gain but also TONE!I think it´s something in the middle between mesa and marshall...as others said there´s no need of pedals,but mine is a single channel,so maybe a booster for solos...

Comment

Hey there,during rehersal I still use my Laney GH50L,it has really great tone,and I use it to play death metal,not just gain but also TONE!I think it´s something in the middle between mesa and marshall...as others said there´s no need of pedals,but mine is a single channel,so maybe a booster for solos...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor:
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"in the middle between mesa and marshall"
              That's it go right ahead and torture me, why don't ya? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Seriously, does anybody have some mp3s of any laney amps in action. This sound exactly like what I am looking for: "in the middle between mesa and marshall."
              Thanks,
              Nek

Comment

Hey Nek....
                Go to this link:
                Laney MP3

All I used to get this guitar sound was my Laney AOR 100 head and a 4x12 Marshall cab. No pedals, nothing. I've always been partial to Laneys...I'd recommend any of them. Even the Pro Linebacker is a great Laney amp.

Comment

the guys from opeth are endorsed by laney amps.

[ July 29, 2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Explorer77 ]

Comment

All the Laney's I've come across is definately pretty cool ...not enough gain for my taste ...but the have a good tone ...a $50 stomper in front would quickly remedy any of the gain matters in a pinch but I don't care to use pedals myself if I could get away with it.....Gain falls into the Marshall JCM 800 dept with just a smidge more gain but a little more mud but not that bad actually...

....I prefer the 5150 over the laney myself overall but the Laneys have a better lead tone than the 5150...

Laney's are decent amps ....I like Chris Olivia Laney's tone best . I couldn't tell it apart from his Marshall tone really ....but that's his hands..of course [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ July 29, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks Subvamp.

Now does anybody have any Mp3s of a GH100L or VH100R? What I heard from subvamp sounded good and I have looked at Laney before. I believe that the GH100L and VH100R were the amps that I looked at before.

Thanks
                      Nek

Comment

We had a couple of used GH50L's at work stupid cheap. They both sounded great. Awsome tone although the gain channel switching is a little awkward. It has a great JCM800 tone very Warren DiMartini. All the way thru to current heavy gain and plenty of bottom end. If I didnt already have the perfect amp for me I would have bought one of them.
                        Gil

Comment

Working...
                        X