Need help selecting an amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help selecting an amp

I am just starting out. I have decided to purchase a DXMG, and I'm looking for a good practice amp. My budget is $400. Any suggestions?

Re: Need help selecting an amp

What kind of style you play?!

Cham

Comment

I want to play thrash and speed metal.

Comment

Maybe if you save up a little bit more, I forget how much used Peavey 5150 combos go for on ebay, t but they are the best bang for your buck, tons of gain too.

Comment

Yeah, it is pretty good actually. It will also put out 100 watts driving an extension cabinet, so you can gig with it
          too. Even if you get a nicer amp down the road, it will remain an excellent practice and backup amp.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I noticed in the latest Musicians Friend that Epiphone has a couple of small tube amps out. One is about 30 watts, and one I think is 10 or 15. The smaller one appears to be the one to get...its $199, has a TOTALLY cool retro look, and it's a CLASS A AMP which means, to summarize, that the little bugger will COOK and SCREAM!

I can't wait to audition one. Heck, order one from Musicians Friend...you can always send it back!

If you cant' get enough growl out of it, pick yourself up a Digitech RP200 modeling pedal. Or, if you wanna be a purist, get a Mesa Boogie V12 pedal...those things kick!

Comment

Is the Peavey TransTube Bandit II 112 1x12 80W Guitar Combo any good?

Comment

I second the choice of the 5150 combo. You can pick one up used for $500.00. So save up 100$ more. Excellent tone for the money, and it would fit your style.

Comment

i have a 5150 combo and am completely satisfied with the thing. it maybe be difficult to move around and stuff but i agree with Jon, they are the best deal for the price they have

Comment

My first amp of 2 years was a Dean Markley 15w soldidstate amp. Very good tone. For thrash metal and death, just slap a pedal in front of it.

Some 8 years later, its still my backup amp. Not that any of my amps have ever gone bad, but just when tubes get blown or if i'm inbetween amps, I always go back to that Dean Markley.

[ July 27, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Marshall tone ]

Comment

Working...
                    X