5150 Settings!!!! Need Help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 Settings!!!! Need Help!!!!!

Ok, just picked up my 5150 combo from ECON who rocks by the way [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] . I looked in the last settings thread and tried metalcops settings, they were decent but I had to tweak the highs. The only VH song that sounds awsome is house of pain which those settings nailed the intro. I'm looking for something that can get me close to feel your love tonight, ain't talkin bout love,unchained, exc. I feel maybe it need's to be louder maybe??I'm playing it at about 3 st the post lead. I'm playing through a 99 usa wolfgang special so I would hope I can get these tones I'm after through this set up
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Re: 5150 Settings!!!! Need Help!!!!!

Glad to hear that you like your new toy.

I've own many 5150s and Marshalls....and to nail those tones you really NEED the latter....

I was in a big time VH Tribute and a devoted fan loooong ago.

We always duplicated his EXACT equip back in the day .....but ahhhh I'l stop Rambling.

My Heads were were always tweak like..OK this is from memory.. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

GAIN 5.5 to 6 / LOW 6 ish / MID 4 ish / HIGH 6 ish / VOLUME thats up to you / Turn RESONANCE all the way until it gets flubby then back it off till it feels cool ....this depends on how loud your playing / PRESENCE I kept this down pretty much ..just enough for bite ..this also depends how loud your playing...

I hope that helped ...Let me know.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ July 25, 2003, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ok........Getting closer. Defentinly has to be LOUD!!!! Also the further you play and sit away from the amp the better it sounds. I haven't even made room for the amp yet in the room, so when I get my old half stack out of hear and place this in the corner and sit back a few feet it should sound killer. Thanks Bill your settings were a improvement [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, i thinkI finally dialed in a good setting, but it loves the external 4X12 I hooked up.

Lead Pre:5.5

Low:4

Mid:7

High:9

Reverb:6

Resesence:4

Presscence:4

Lead Post: Well it sounds good an LOUD at 5.5 but a nice bedroom level is 2.5

I wish I had the money for a 5150 cab,I think it would sound a lot better than the fender cab I have hooked up now.

Comment

2.5 = bedroom level?

Holy crap, you must rock.

Granted its been awhile since I had the 5150 combo, and I now have a 5150 II - I've always felt these 5150's to be extremely loud at volumes that would normally be fairly tame on other amps.

In fact - I thought I read on the Peavey forum that the 5150's were designed such that at around 5, it was wide open. Why? I don't know, but I just played a not-so-terribly loud gig last weekend where I had my 5150 II (w/Marshall 1936) around 2.5-3 on the post (all amps mic'd thru the mains) and it was PLENTY loud for stage monitoring.

In any event, the setting suggested above seem right on the money for a starting point. You might consider some new power tubes...for some reason it seems suspect to me that you can play by yourself with the post gain even up to 2.5 without thinking its a tad bit too loud! Or, my **** could all be broken!!

Good luck! That is a fun amp. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Well my lead post knob is a little wierd so that setting may be a little off. I defently think at 5.5-6 this amp has everything.

Comment

Ok, it's been alittle while for me...But if i remeber correctly, my setting's were:

Gain:
              Pre: 6

EQ:
              Bass: 7
              Mid: 9
              Treble: 2-3 (Can't remeber)
              Presence: 7
              Resonace: 5

I know that when i had mine, i used to nail Randy Rhoads' tone. I think that's how i had it...Not sure though. Good luck!

Comment

I don`t have Resonence on my VHT pittbull, but I do have a Depth knob, are they the same? I think my Depth knob gives the cab more Bass? Jack.

Comment

The 5150 shefield cab is the ticket !! That cab is tuned and voiced for that amp ...celestions / Jensens / EVs or whatever do NOT sound as good whatsoever...

...John and I have mentioned that a billion times ...but it's very true!!

That's probably why you rolled off the Low end big time ....you should find those cabs pretty cheap...a lot cheaper than most celestions cabs actually...no more than $350..I would think....and their nicely made ...

Happy tweakin'! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ July 30, 2003, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ya, $350 is what they usally go for on the bay, If I found 1 locally at that price I would defintly buy it, but I just don't like the idea of shipping something that big. I actually tried it out tonight with my carvin DC125 with a custom custom in it for the 1st time and it NAILEDthe Mr. Crowley and Crazy Train tone. Awsome stuff. Now I have to get my 1 hum strat with the JB ready so I can test with that. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X