Valvestate Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvestate Troubles

My VS100 makes a very loud noise about 3 seconds after I turn it on. It is sort of a cross between a bang, crunch and pop.

What's wrong? It's very annoying.

Re: Valvestate Troubles

Sounds like possibly a transformer. Does it smell?

Comment

No. I opened it up last night and everything appears to be working properly.

Could it be one of the jacks (input, fx send, fx return)? If so, is there an easy fix, like contact cleaner or something?

Comment

HOLY ****ING ****! I just turned it on and a HUGE roaring/crackling sound came out. Didn't stop until I turned it off.

Goddamnit, this sucks.

Comment

Ok, I just opened it up and turned it on. How much is a tube supposed to glow?

Comment

Just take it in... or.....

Sounds like someones get'n a new amp! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I opened it up, blew away all the dust, disconnected and reconnected all the cables.

Works fine now, which is very strnge. Perhaps the tube came loose?

Comment

It depends on the tube. It shouldn't glow too much. The roar that you mentioned sounds like it might be a dead short. Be very careful!!

Comment

Tubes do glow, but typically 12Ax7's aren't known to glow more than a dull penlight.
                  At some point in time it would probably be a good idea to spend the 10-20 on a quality 12ax7. While 12ax7's are pretty durable and last a long time...they do wear down or crap out in time.

Check out Pete's (Twisteramps) comments regarding tubes in the beginning of this topic, some useful info. Sovtek has alot of vaiety, Electro Harmonix, Tesla/JJ, Chinese Ruby, and of course all the euro brands like Mullard, Valvo, Brimar Siemans, Miniwatt then USA RCA, etc...

Comment

It doing it again, but now it's only if I touch the amp after turning it on.

I had a small Laney though the FX send and there was no crackling. I then had some headphones hooked up to the headphone jack and again, no crackling.

It seems that it only crackles when the speaker is plugged in, so I guess I'll have to replace it. Or perhaps the speaker jacks (both of them [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ) are faulty.

Comment

Working...
                    X