Jackson Charvel Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson Charvel Amps

You might want to try Laney Amps. I'm about 80% sure they made/designed the amps for Jackson.

Comment

Yeah, it's been said (or I've seen it written)that Laney was the producer of these amps.

The circuit board and if I recall, the chassis may have been similar. There was a time when I had them both apart to compare.

But that is an idea to contact them.. altho, they're pretty slow to respond to sending a schematic for even an AOR, it's been two years after I requested one and I've long given up waiting.

[ July 29, 2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

charvelguy: Kevin Easton is the former Artist relations/product manager/website designer/whatever for Jackson, now proprietor of Easton Guitars. Shoot him an email, he might have something.

I did some looking around and found that I have HALF of two different schematics for the JG2/3. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool.. thank you! I will shoot him an email.

Comment

I got my Apogee at Groth Music. According to the guitar department guy I talked to, it had been sold at an estate sale. I paid $450 for it. I'm getting the impression that there must have been a Minnesota dealer that was pushing a lot of Jackson amps at the time, because I also see Jackson amps and cabs fairly often at other shops. LaVonne Music in Savage used to carry a lot of Jacksons, and I've seen a few of the amps there over the years. I would venture a guess that Music Off 10 or B Sharp probably carried the amps.

As far as I can tell, the Apogee is a solidstate preamp/tube power amp design. The distortion on it is pretty good, but I never use it since I'm an ART guy to the core. I've never even pulled the tubes, so they may very well be factory -- 6L6 maybe? Sure sounds good, whatever its history is.
            sigpic

Comment

Music Off 10 didn't carry the Jackson amps - they weren't a dealer for anything other than ART & Line 6. They really didn't have much of a "store" until Steve started there, and then it was mainly guitars and PA equipment.

B-Sharpe sold everything they could come by - but talk about SHADY dealings. I got kicked out of there "for life" a couple years ago. Long story short, they get you in the door by telling you they have something (they don't in reality), then they "order" it for you, tell you it'll be there in a week when it actually takes more than two months! I ordered a cab they told me they "had in stock", put a down payment on it, and then it never showed. After two months, I got sick of hearing the BS lines they'd try to feed me, and I put a stop payment on the check. I called them, told them what I did and that I wasn't going to wait any longer for the amp, and came home to some VERY threatening phone messages. Somehow, they managed to get the stop-payment taken off my check WITHOUT MY CONSENT. This leads me to believe some of the "other stories" I've heard about them and their "connections". I ended up getting the cab two weeks later after going in there a number of times to get it -- each time, the person "didn't have the key" to the room everything was at...whatever. Then after I FINALLY got it, he (Guido or whatever his name is -- Jimmy I think...)told me not to come back -- like there was a chance in HELL I ever would. I hate that place, and I've never heard a good story about them since. I don't know how they stay in business since they can't have many return buyers!

Banks (the liquidation store) had a TON of Jackson stuff. I got a Reference 50 Half stack ther for about $400 -- NEW! It was a bunch of gear that had some water damage when the tornado ripped up some warehouse in Ft. Worth (so I've been told). The Reference 50 was a Laney collaberation. Great amp too - I wish I had that one back. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I think it was in '95 or so that there was a huge flush of these into Banks. I never seen so many reference cabs and heads. There were loads of Charvel and Jackson solidbodies, some nice graphics, 625 acoustics. I was broke.. so I bought what I could, necks for ten bucks a piece and a case.
                I called back many times.. but when that stuff hit 50-75% off, it was gone.

Oh B-sharp.. they were rather shady.. all those ads they used to run in the paper, quite misleading.

[ July 29, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Working...
                X