Need some pedal advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some pedal advice

Right now i own a Boss MD-2 distortion pedal and a Dunlop CFH wah pedal. These dont give me as much tone freedom as i would like. Im looking for a pedal that will give me a warm, neo-classical tone. Any suggestions? Im using a Peavey transtube studio pro 112 amp. Thanks

Re: Need some pedal advice

DOD YJM308 is what Yngwie uses.

Comment

Some things to try that I like:
      Ibanez SM9 - same JRC 9432493249234 blah, blah chips as the tube screamer - it's just got several of them.

Akai Shred-O-Matic - has a real 12AX7 tube in it. It's switchable between tube and solid state distortion. It even has a rocker pedal to blend between the two or control the distortion level. I got mine from www.americanmusical.com - it was $49.95 on closeout.

Keeley modified Boss DS-1 - his mod makes a HUGE difference. There's a guy selling clones of these on Ebay (he admits it and Keeley has made the mod design available to anyone). Look for DoobTone pedals. I have a DS-1 from Keeley and DoobTone - they sound the same.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Does this "Keeley" fellow or comp. or whatever have a website? I've never heard of them before.

Comment

I suggest a Keeley SEM Ultra. Oh, and the YJM308 is ONLY good for boosting a tube amp.

Comment

www.robertkeeley.com

i think.

~eric

Comment

Thanks illumina. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you looking to use a pedal in conjunction with the Peavey distortion, or instead of it? I have used numerous TransTube models, as have other guitarists I know, with all kinds of pedals. The ART Xtreme has three different distortion modes and a good EQ. The Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde has distortion and overdrive modes, and can get just about any tone short of death metal, but probably would need a seperate EQ.
                sigpic

Comment

I checked out that visual sound jekyl and hyde and it sounds great. You can listen to clips of it on musicians friend. How would I go about using a seperate EQ? As you can tell I dont really know anything about all the technical terms and stuff about amps

Comment

Any EQ pedal would be helpful. I personally use an ART Tube EQ (parametric half-rackspace) that has a 12AX7 in it, to "warm up" my TransTube Special 212, but used a DOD 7-band EQ pedal before buying the ART. My brother, who plays in my band, was also using a DOD EQ with his Jekyll & Hyde.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YngwieRules:
                      I checked out that visual sound jekyl and hyde and it sounds great. You can listen to clips of it on musicians friend. How would I go about using a seperate EQ? As you can tell I dont really know anything about all the technical terms and stuff about amps
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those things sound good at room volume but sound buzzy, brittle, and harsh at band volume. I sold mine a month ago and was glad to be rid of it. My modded tube screamer kicks the crap out of the overdrive side of the J/H and my Keeley DS-1 kicks the crap out of the high gain side.

- Newc

Comment

Also, I had one of the DOD YJM308 pedals. They sound good. It won't get you "that" sound by itself. Yngwie has some nice old Marshall's cranked way up plus he's got some nice old Strats. Then there's his hands.

I didn't hang on to the YJM308 because I have a couple tube screamers and an early 80's boss overdrive that I like better. It is a good pedal for around $30-35 on Ebay.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                        X