A marshall amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A marshall amp question

From what ive heard nobody really likes the new marshall amps, they say the quality is bad. Ive been recomended by many people to buy a jcm 800. I looked on musicians friend just to get an idea of the price range and the jcm 800 is $1370. The tsl 100 is $1430. The TSL does have 2 extra channels. Im wondering why everyone recomends the jcm 800 over the tsl 100. I dont know much about the two amps but just from the sound of it paying an extra $60 for 2 extra channels

Re: A marshall amp question

1300 is quite high for a JCM 800... is it modded by someone? Usually you see them for 500-800.

The JCM 800's are solid amps. But if you are into more modern, crushingly heavy tones, the JCM800 wont get you there... at least on its own it wont. I really like the JCM 800 2210, which is two channels at 100 watts... many will argue the single channel 800's are better, ala the 2203, but its JMHO.

I think the TSL heads are great too. They will get much heavier than an 800. The build quality is no doubt better on an 800... but still great tones from the TSL. I personally would go w/ the TSL. Once again JMHO. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

hey man thanks for the reply, heres where i saw the jcm 800 for $1300

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/82972

Comment

The one from MF is a reissue. You can get an original for 500-800 (depending). Go to your local store and try them before you buy. What sounds good to me (or someone else here) might not to you. When you are talking about spending over a grand, it's worth the piece of mind to know what it is and what it's about before you purchase.

Comment

The DSL amps sound a LOT better to me than the TSLs.

Comment

The Re-issued 800s, are made just as crappy as any other new marshall. Stay away.

If that's what you want, then get an old 80s unit that is considerably better than current issue Marshall.

Comment

Cleve hit the nail on the head!

Comment

The JCM 2000's, but especially, DSL's kick major butt. I believe the best is the DSL 401, but to chose from all the heads, the DSL 50 is the best. Seriously I say give the DSL 50 and DSL 401 a shot, they sound killer.

Comment

Guess something was wrong with the last twenty or thirty I heard... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

If you want a good Marshall Stay away from the DSL / TSL garbage ......Stay very away..unless your in a nu metal band ....then bash away very badly ....That amp does that very nicely.

Buy an old Marshall or at least the Rack stuff..if you want a real Marshall sound...

I owned a brand new DSL for about a month ...the time it took me to dump it [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] ..what a dead , lifeless , toneless, mushy piece of dung!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

ok thanks for all the responses guys i really appreciate it. There are 2 music stores in my town but none of them have any marshall amps so I cant just drive to thier store and test it out for myself. They cost alot of money and I want to be absolutely sure on my decision before i buy one.

Comment

I played a New TSL Triple Channel head thru a Marshall cab with 4-GT12-75`s, and then later bought my 1993 VHT Pittbull CL-100 combo with 2 celestion Lead 80`s, let me tell you, I wouldn`t give $500 for that TSL head, very nasly and lifeless, but the VHT is a much better sounding amp, more clear with more power and drive. That beeing said, I would like to own an older modded JCM 800, Slayer uses them modded, so hey they can`t be all that bad. I also like the Mesa Dual Rectifier thru a Mesa 4x12 with Widow 90`s, I think they are similar to the Lead 80`s. I like speakers that are loud and clear and let the amps voicing shine thru [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                        X