NEED SOME ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS FOR A RACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED SOME ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS FOR A RACK

Hey everybody....I have been here for a while, read and responded to a few posts...and love this place as a hangout lol.

I am finishing out my rack in the near future...have some units...but now seem to be in a dillema as to how to finish it.

Here is what I currently have:

BBE 462 Maximiser
    Furman PL-8
    Alesis 3630
    Alesis ME Q-230
    Korg DT-1

I need to get a pre-amp (I was thinking Triaxis, but I have heard good and bad things about it)....a power amp (again, was thinking Mesa Boogie 50/50)....I don't need the full blown Simul 2:90.....and some good quality effects that won't kill me or require a MIT Degree to program and use.

Guys, I am all ears and respect your opinions.

For guitars, I have:

1999 Jackson SL-1 Soloist Amber Burst w/the additon of Rio Grande singles (got from Kickaxeguitars of JCF Fame!!)

1986 BC Rich Custom Shop ST-3 w/EMG's

196? Les Paul Custom w/EMG 81/85's (retired)

I love the 80's hair bands and classic rock....
    Ozzy...Randy....Scorpions...Dokken...etc.

Basically, I want good tone, nice effects, and versatility........maybe I am asking too much.

Thanks for your advice.
    [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: NEED SOME ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS FOR A RACK

I don't know that much about power amps, but i'm big on preamps. I personlly think that Hughes & Kettner have great preamps. What i like about them is that some have a midboost button that seems to fatten up the tone alot. Some other good preamps are the Peavey Rockmaster, the Lee Jackson/Perfect connection GP-1000, and the Marshall JMP-1. I haven't heard a Mesa, so i really couldnt help you out on that one. The good thing about the preamps that are listed above is that they really don't go for that much, and are all run by tube(s) (12ax7). Check them out! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 30, 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: john ]

Comment

You can also look into the Sansamp PSA-1 preamp. How loud of a poweramp do you want? a 50/50 is pretty loud I heard the mesa 20/20 is also pretty damn loud.

Comment

If you're willing to look around, you can score a Mesa/Boogie Quad Preamp for cheap. Everything good about the MKIIC+ and MKIII in a 3 rack spaces.

That might be a bit too bulky for some, tho. I've never heard a TriAxis, but I've heard the SansAmp and JMP-1. I liked the Sans quite a bit. Their Boogie-like settings are pretty accurate. However I dig tubes and might find something SS lacking mojo.

As for a poweramp. There are plenty good poweramps out there for cheap. I'm running an old 80's 60w tube Peavey Classic 60 mono power amp and I love it, I paid under 200 for it and it sounds a million times better than the ss Marshall it replaced. What really suprised me is that it also has a built-in cooling fan for itself.

The cool thing about used rack gear is that often it's very affordable often quite good.

Comment

the best power amp out there IMO is the 2150 with KT88's. the Mesa 20/20 rocks but you have no headroom. EL84's break up nice but they breakup quick also. I like VHT power amps personally. I also like the older boogie poweramps like the 295 and the 395 which can be found rather sheaply. 50/50 is good too and rather inexpensive you can land one used for around 300-500 depending on how you shop. The 20/20's are actually more used than the 50/50's availability I guess.
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

jmp1 is a good high gain, and some inbetween sounds. I love my triaxis, just needs a bbe for that added low end. cheap good easy effect unit i'd go for the gmajor, very easy to edit, and a sounds great, doesnt color your sound.

all of which i have for sale by the way [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (plug).

Dave

Comment

As far as effects, you wont be disapointed with a G major.
              www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Well, I will provide my .02 cents. As far as a preamp I recommend a Marshall JMP-1. Lots of good tone in them and they are pretty resonably priced used. I think there is one for sale in the classified section now for a good price. The JMP-1 should have a BOSS compressor/sustainer in front of it WITH a Boss noise suppresor and BBE sonic mazimizer after it to get the best tone IMO. I also have a Mesa Recto preamp which is great but pricey, it is good for direct recording but I still think you get more bang for the buck with the JMP-1. The Marshall EL 34 50/50 has been a great power amp for me. Good combo witht the JMp-1. As far as effects I like the Rocktron Intellifex, these can be had on ebay for good prices used. Easy to operate and great sound. These are only opinions subject to personal taste of sound. I hope it helps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

The rack-mount version of the Boogie V-twin preamp would be a pretty good match for a 50/50. I've been playing it with a 2:90 and it sounds great.
                  It's relatively inexpensive,too. Around $200 to $300.

Comment

Don't forget the Soldano SP-77 -- IMHO the best preamp you can get dollar-for-dollar. If you're thinking JMP-1, you may also want to consider the Rocktron Piranha - they're quite similar, but I think you've got more tone shaping capability with the Rocktron, and it's also got some higher gain capability.

Comment

Hey...thanks for the responses...I just bought the "Big Rack" that Doc Dryer had posted on the classifieds, should be here Monday.

It includes the combo of the Soldano SP-77 and Mesa Boogie 50/50. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I can't wait to get it.....

How does the Soldano sound?? I have never heard one that I can remember and I am dying to try it out.
                      [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X