looking for amp suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for amp suggestions...

I've used a number of amps, and I'm not really sure what to check out next. I'm looking for sort of a Alexi Laiho circa Something wild meets Jeff Loomis circa Dead heart In a Dead world type tone, or at least an amp that could produce tone within a similiar range of those two. I'm currently using a peavey 5150, and I'm not very satisfied with it.

Re: looking for amp suggestions...

You want an Engl Powerball. Alexi uses Engl stuff.

Comment

I know Alexi uses Engl poweramps. How much do these things run for used? I know Engl's are pretty hard to find in the US, as theres only one US dealer, which is on the opposite side of the country.

[ August 03, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Antinode ]

Comment

Pricing and clips

http://www.rocksolidamps.com

that is Derek b's site he has clip links here too also
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

cheers for the link

BTW, Alexi's sound is shaped by his preamp which is a lee jackson gp1000 or something like that, so getting an engl wont get you alexi's sound...Also, i dont think alexi used what he uses now, for something wild, i found that the distortion is more grainy on that album, imo.
          Cheers

Comment

The Engl's look pretty nice, but I plan on buying used and I think its gonna be tough to find one of those used. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment

Loomis' tone on "Dead Heart" is a Dual Recto. Despite the slagging, it's a great amp for any sort of metal, not just "Nu" or Godsmack. I use a Triple to play very heavy power metal, and get a quite heavy yet still articulate tone out of it.

My first suggestion, though, would be to re-tube your 5150 and have it biased, since I've heard many people (Arch Enemy, In Flames) get kickass distortion tones out of them. Ignore that comment if you've already done that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

When we played with Seven Witches earlier this year, Jack Frost had two Engl Fireballs, and they sounded really, really good. I haven't heard a Powerball, though.

Mike
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
              X