Pod Pro or Pod XT Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod Pro or Pod XT Pro

Ok, I am wanting to purchase one of these Pod units. Can you guys give me feedback on which is better and why?

Pete
    www.myspace.com/mortality

Re: Pod Pro or Pod XT Pro

Here's a cheaper way to get the classic sounds of any emulating device.

1. Get a microphone and hook it to an amplifier. (rogue or squier usually capture the golden pureness emulating tone best)

2. Stand the microphone right close to your sleeping family member\friend's anus.

3. Get ready to record!

That should come pretty close.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Comment

Hey, thanks for your useless post [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

The answer depends on how you intend to use it and the type of connections you need.

The PODxt and PODxtPro are basically the same thing, differing primarily in the fact that the Pro has a larger variety of output options--1/4", XLR, and (I think) s/pdif and USB digital; where the regular xt only has 1/4" and USB outputs. Also, the Pro is rackmountable and has the power supply built into the unit, where the xt is a tabletop unit that has an external power supply. But the 'sound engine' and controls in both units are the same--they produce the same sounds, in other words.

If I were running a fancy project studio where everything was hard-wired and "normalized" in a rack setup, I would splurge for the Pro, because it will fit easily into my setup and offers a greater amount of connectivity. But for a regular home studio, I don't see any reason to spend the extra $$$ on the Pro, unless you also intend to use the unit in a rack setup with a power amp for live use.

I have a regular xt, which I'm probably going to sell soon. It's way better than any of the other modelers I've tried, but my Rocktron Chameleon/ADA Ampulator setup blows it away in terms of sound quality for metal sounds.

Comment

Studio use is what I would want to use it for, so it would be sitting in a rack permanently. No live playing with it at all. I was also asking about the POD PRO vs PODxt PRO. I have read specs but I know some of you guys have used one or the other. Just wondering which people like more and why. BTW thanks for the info Profusion

[ August 05, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: xxxcreaturexxx ]

Comment

i would think the xtpro would be better since it has the upgraded chip with the new sounds. i think the xtpro is alot more than the pro also.

Comment

Pete... Captainjazz/James whatever... you are better off with the XT IMO
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I had the POD 1.0, the 2.0 upgrade chip, the POD Pro, and since I missed it so much, I bought a POD 2.3 a little while ago. I would LOVE to get the PODxt though, as I've heard so many good things about it. Lots of folks really enjoy the fact that you have so many more "stomp-box" style effects available, which you don't have as many available with the POD Pro. It's just a "deeper" unit, and in a studio environment, if you don't have a bunch of vintage stomp boxes, I'd think the POD ProXT would be the way to go. You can't use the Floorboard form the older unit though, so bear in mind you'll have to add the expense of the Shortbaord or whatever it's called on top of the cost of the POD. I wouldn't recommend trying to get along without it - you almost have to have it in order ot access certain features. Some people have used other MIDI control pedals with some success, but I tend to think that buying the floorbaord simplifies that equation quite a bit.

One thing - I bought my POD 2.3 a few months ago, and the XT was out already. Why you ask? Simplicity. I know the POD 2.3, and I was happy with what it had to offer. Less messing cuz there's less effects, etc. to monkey with.

Comment

Originally posted by metallicarocks:
                  Here's a cheaper way to get the classic sounds of any emulating device.

1. Get a microphone and hook it to an amplifier. (rogue or squier usually capture the golden pureness emulating tone best)

2. Stand the microphone right close to your sleeping family member\friend's anus.

3. Get ready to record!

That should come pretty close.

Anyone else have suggestions?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] God you're a tool! Why don't you come back after you've grown up a little? [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] Until then, I've heard most the pre-pube crowd hangs at the ESP board arguing about how their Metallicas are all better than the other person's Metallica. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

F'in troll... [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Do yourself and everyone else here at JCF a favor and don't bother posting until you have something even REMOTELY intelligent to say. I'm guessing we won't be seeing you for quite some time... [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

To the rest of the JCF folks - sorry about that little outburst. I apologize, but people with comments like that just don't amuse me. I usually let it roll off my back, but anyone with his comments, matched with his user name/profile just needs to be... I don't know...maybe forgotten about? OK - I feel better.

Comment

Geez, I misread the subject line here...

Both the regular POD and xt have their advocates, in terms of sound quality. Personally, I think the xt is much better sounding than the original, but then I never cared for the origial POD--I thought the Behringer V-Amp was a better sounding unit than the POD 2.0. Supposedly the POD2.3 is a substantial improvement over the 2.0, but I've not heard that upgrade. The sounds in the xt are brighter, punchier, and more usable. Both the POD and V-amp sounded great through headphones, but dreadfully thin when you put them in a mix. The xt records very nicely--it ought to, for the money they charge for it!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Now to go check out an XT somewhere. I played around with my friends POD Pro and it was ok. Cant wait to check out the XT

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by xxxcreaturexxx:
                        Thanks for the info guys. Now to go check out an XT somewhere. I played around with my friends POD Pro and it was ok. Cant wait to check out the XT

Pete
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm with you - I'm probably gonna see if I can pick one up sometime after Christmas. I REALLY like my POD, but it would be cool to spend a little time with the XT.

Comment

Chris Olson. Blow me. You and your other little jcf buddies always post things like this. How many pod jokes have I heard? If there was a scale it would go off the chart. Then you have the balls to tell me to grow up? Good god, we all pull each other's chains. Why don't you grow up and learn to take it and shrug it off like everyone else? Besides, the only reason that most of you guys don't like metallica is because they use ESP. What about dave mustaine? check the adds lately? Who gives a 5hit what gear people use, or what bands they listen to. We're all thrash metal heads, and like it or not metallica is thrash. You and your little buddies think your cool 5hit. All thrash kicks ass, who cares what they use?
                          Don't take everything so personal! You and your buddies can pull my chain. Hee hee, haw haw. God forbid I do that to anyone. Geez, you tell me to grow up. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

metallicarocks ur sayin for chris to grow up when your the one whos still stiiren sh*t up. I think its funny though how everyone can talk so much sh*t on the internet but when they come face to face with someone they dont have a thing to say.
                            Jay

Comment

Metallirocks - Are you done now? Feel better getting all that teen angst off your chest? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You know, I was listening to Metallica & Megadeth before you were born. The first time I saw Metallica in concert, you were 2. As a matter of fact, you probably didn't even know who Metallica was until they had already sold out. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] I don't think you're gonna school me on that...

BTW - I was at the concert here in Minneapolis two weeks ago. Jaymz and Kirk used Gibson most of the night! I could care less what they play to be honest. I don't hate Metallica, Dave M, or ESP. As a matter of fact, I like them all. The ESP board (good grief...) seems to be run almost exclusively by 16 year olds these days...

Are we okay now? I just wanna be friends -- seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X