standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• standby

I know that you`re going to laugh at this question. But I live in poor eastern part of Europe, so please understand :-)
    After 10 years of playing I finally got myself a great amp - Framus Cobra. But I`m not sure about the use of STANDBY switch. In the manual says turn the power on and then turn the STANDBY on.
    Does it mean that I`m suppossed to play with STANDBY on?
    By the way, Cobra kicks some serious ass!!
    Thanx

Re: standby

Nah - it's a good question. When you power up the amp, there should be no sound coming from the speakers, so your "standby" switch would be OFF. After the tubes have warmed for about 5-10 minutes, turn the standby switch to ON. It's good to let the tubes warm for a little before you play to extend their life.

Comment

Man, thank you a bunch!! I wouldn`t like to **** something up on my new amp.
      So, to be sure, after the tubes are warmed, I turn the standby on, when I`m finnished with the playing, I turn it off, and then the power off too?
      As English is not my main language, I always thought that standby is like, something you turn on when the amp is on but you`re not playing.
      Thanx again!!

Comment

Chris is correct except that when stanby is on your in the warming mode (no sound), off and your in playing mode (sound). I even put it back on standby for a few minutes when I'm done before turning it off.

Comment

Actually you are not supposed to put the amp back on standby before shutting it off.

To turn it off, simply flip the power switch to "off", don't use standby. This lets the still-conducting tubes bring down the high voltages in the power supply.

Comment

It's a good idea to use your standby mode on set breaks etc. this helps to prolong tube life.
            I've always used my standby at least breifly when powering off to insure that the amp is in the correct position again for turning on later.I guess I could turn off the power and then put it on standby if this really helps the amp in any way.......I believe the main thing is to not jolt the tubes by powering up all the way at once

Comment

Working...
            X