stomp box power!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stomp box power!!!

Help. I use a few pedals and with the crappy (ibeenhad) power supply I have they are very noisy. if I just unplug them and run batteries the noise is gone. does the voodoo pedal power cure this? also is there something a bit cheaper thats not noisy. I'll get the voodoo if I have to, but if I can save a buck I'll go that route. thanx

Matt [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: stomp box power!!!

Ahhhh crapola! Why couldn't you ask this about a week ago? I just threw out a Guitar World that had reviews on accessories, including the multi-pedal-powering devices hehehe. Ahhh well...

THe Voodoo was one of the ones they reviewed, and this one was in there, too...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/54114

Here's a couple other alternatives...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/42909

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/151686/

There are a couple of other possibilities to think about...

I have 3 options for powering pedals, aside from internal 9V batteries or proprietary single AC cables:
    (1) My Pedal Pad pedalboard's onboard power supply
    (2) VHT Valvulator 1 tube buffer/pedal powerer
    (3) Boss TU-2 Tuner, which also powers pedals

Some of my pedals seem to prefer different supplies, but the most consistently decent of them is the Boss TU-2. At least 2 other Boss pedals will power other pedals, as well--I believe the NS-2 and the LS (Line Selector somethingorother). I don't know if these would be much more quiet than what you have, but they're much cheaper than the Voodoo, and might be worth a try. They are limited in what kinds of pedals they can do, though...only in a certain voltage range...so it would depend on your pedals.

If you want to add some nice tube warmth, a little OOMF, and a little bit of nice tubey feel to your system, the VHT Valvulator 1 can power a couple of pedals. Their power outputs are kinda funky, though and I'm leery to power more than a couple with it, but if you just had a couple pedals, you might want to look at it. Heck, you might want to look at it anyway, it's a good unit that can do some nice things for any setup. But I can't seem to find it on the Musician's Friend site right now...eh...I'm worried VHT may have axed it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If you need or would ever want a pedalboard at some time, there are lots of pedalboards out there, and some of them besides just my Pedal Pad might have onboard powering.

Again, though, who knows how exactly any pedal powering unit would be in terms of "noise" compared to what you already have. I'd say go down to a big guitar store and try out different pedal powering units, if you can. If you have rare pedals that aren't going to be at the store, take your pedals in with you.

The last option would be...get a noise suppressing unit. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

thanx alot. I think I'm gonna go with a one spot to try to keep cost down. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got an original Voodoo Labs Pedal Power, and it's very quiet, I love it, but it was not cheap. You might be able to get it a little cheaper since they came out with the Pedal Power 2. Worth every penny, IMO.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes the Boss NS-2 does power other pedals.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have the Pedal Power 2 By voodoo labs and it is super quiet, and each output is isolated from the others in case one pedal shorts out somehow ,it doesn't affect the others.

It will power ,boss, mxr and line 6 products and it comes with just about every adapter you need. It also has a sag function so that you can make certain pedals operate like they are using a battery that is going flat. I've heard that some OD pedals sound better like that.

Mine wasn't that much, I think 129.00, and it was worth every penny as Joe said above.
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

The VooDoo Lab Pedal Power is by far the best power supply unit made for your pedals!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I'm in the process of building a new pedal board and I'm looking to purchase another one! My current one powers some pedals mounted on a rack tray for my rack system. They're well worth the asking price and some are starting to pop up used with the introduction of the P.P.II [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I am totally happy using my TU-2 power all my pedals. Everything in my signal chain runs on the same voltage though, so if you have obscure pedals they might not work. I run almost all BOSS pedals, with a Ibanez TS9 being the exception.

Comment

Working...
                X