Damn,what a deal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn,what a deal!

> While I was in Akron this week visiting my grandparents,I checked out the local guitar shops looking for a decent practice amp. I tried out a Crate GFX15R,and was pretty much sold,just had to wait a few days until I got home and got paid. I went to another spot and checked out a Line 6 Spider 112,not having much experience with them. For what it is,I was impressed,but was a little leery of spending that much on an amp with my divorce and child support hearing on the horizon. Not that it was terribly expensive,$325 out the door is what he offered me,with the footswitch. So I returned home,and got paid so I decided to see what my local shops had to offer. (By the way,in 4 different shops in Akron,only one had a Jackson in stock,and it was on a hanger like 25 feet in the air,and the salesman wouldn't even attempt to retrieve it) The first one had a a Crate like I wanted,without reverb,and it would be a few weeks before he got a shipment,so I went to the only other store around. Nothing there but a bunch of Fender stuff,which isn't my thing at all. I was walking past the pawn shop to our local Sam Goody,which sells some of the smaller Marshalls like the MG series and such. Something caught my eye in the pawnshop window so I stopped. I walked in for a closer look,and low and behold I find a pretty much right out of the box Spider 112,with promotional propaganda still attached. I look in the back of the amp and find the users manual still in the bag. I ask the old woman at the counter how much this amp was and her answer just about gave me wood. "That's 79.95 as is,or 99.95 with this thing",as she hold up not just a footswitch but the EXPRESSION pedal for this amp,which sells for like 229 off Musician's Friend,STILL IN THE BOX! Apparently some crackhead or otherwise mentally impaired person bought this thing,decided they didn't like it,and traded it for a used Sega Dreamcast! Since she had never seen one she said it looked "hokey" to her,so she just took the tag off the Dreamcast and priced it the same as what she was trying to get for the Sega. Needless to say,I coddled this info out of her after I shelled out the cash for it and had it in the car. She even said "that's fine" when I pulled out the first hundred and haggled over the sales tax. Ignorant salespeople RULE! Tommy D.
    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Re: Damn,what a deal!

Ha! Nice score!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Pawn shops... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Sometimes you get them, sometimes they get you. Glad you were able to get THEM! The Spider is a cool little amp for the money. I had a 210 a few years back. But for that price, you got the BUY OF THE YEAR!

Comment

Can we get an update on this amp...like...when you got it home, did you find that you got a bonus in that it actually works? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

> I plugged it in,plugged some cheesy Strat copy into it,and made sure everything worked before I paid. I still can't believe I got a deal like this. It ROCKS,especially for not having tubes in it. Tommy D.
          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Cool amp deal of the year!!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Lo and behold

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
              X