Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom tm-01 tri metal vs. hl-01 hyper lead

Hy,

Ok people...this 2 pedals are very under-rated because it says zoom on them, but i've read amazing reviews that made me want to buy one - i just don't know which one.
    I want something for a brutal death/thrash/power rythm and lead sound with a lot of DEFINITION...think Testament, Death, Iced Earth and stuff like this. I'm so sick of DSP units where gain=undefined noise. I have a V-amp2 which is the best DSP i've tried but still not exactly what i want.

Someone here said the tri metal has too much gain and looses definition, not being versatile for other sounds (and i don't mean country - i mean other rock/metal sounds), someone else said the hyper lead hasn't enough gain for thrash/death. I want something that will cut it for brutal thrash but also versatility for others genres (which i hear would be the case with HL-01 - but i'm just afraid it won't do good with my main objective)

Thanks and i hope you can help me out,right now i'm 51% for the HL-01 because of it's versatility, but only if it gets the job done with the Schaffer/Schuldiner riffs&solos.

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Vik

PS Obviously i can't try them out before buying that's why i'm asking this....

Re: Zoom tm-01 tri metal vs. hl-01 hyper lead

Since MARS went out of business, I haven't seen the Zoom stuff around. I know of a pedal that will get you the sound you're talking about, because I can get Death/Control Denied and Testament tones with no problem, but it's not a Zoom. It's the ART Xtreme, which has been discontinued for years but is still available on eBay and elsewhere. I first bought one after hearing Testament's "Low" many years ago. It has some built-in effects, and the chorus helps in nailing the above tones.

The Korg 104ds Hyper Distortion can get pretty close to Chuck's tone also. I haven't really used mine, because I like the effects on the ART unit, but was always able to get great distortion out of it. The Korg also has a cab sim and is somewhat programmable, which the ART is not.
    sigpic

Comment

Korg 104ds, 411fx both are monsters.

OR!!! You can use the pedal that every death/thrash metal band uses or has used.
      The infamous Boss MT-2 Metal Zone.

Comment

isn't the tm/hl better than the boss mt2 ?

Comment

is the art xtreme digital or analog ? and the korg ? i don't want anymore digital stuff

Comment

well i like the line 6 distortion modeler myself.
            i also really like the h&k warp factor.

by the way, i have a korg 104ds in mint condition if you want it...email me for pix and price if you want, it'll cost you less than a new zoom pedal.

Comment

I can't speak for the Tri-Metal, but I bought a Hyper Lead from Musictoyz.com last year and sent it back the next day.

The pros:
              1. Solid construction
              2. Quiet
              3. True bypass
              4. Analog

The con?

Not enough gain.

I'm an Eighties metal head. I like a tight, defined distortion, but that also means that I want full saturation. Even on the highest gain setting, it sounded wimpy to me. Honestly, it made me realize how much I really liked my Metal Zone/GE-7 EQ combination.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

The Boss MT-2 and the GE-7 are killer used together. I used the MT-2 between the guitar and the amp and the GE-7 in the loop for boost. If you want heavy... they will deliver.

Comment

The ART Xtreme is analog distortion (3 channel) with digital effects. The Korg 104ds is also analog, although I don't know what the deal is on the cab sim. The Korg also is switchable from amp to direct mode, although I've never used it as a DI box.
                  sigpic

Comment

if you want saome gain for heavy stuff then definately the tri metal, i played a hyper lead a few days ago (against a dod death metal) and it had nowhere near as much gain as i wanted, the tri metal has enough gain for me and more,

David

Comment

Thanks guys. which would win here: tri metal vs. mt2 vs. korg 104ds ?

Comment

Many say mt2 is the way to got but others say stuff like this: (any comments ?)

"Sound Quality: 1
                        I think this is marketed at younger people as a shortcut to a heavy metal rig. Shortcut that kinda leaves you with a 20 mile journy left is more what I'd say.

You can achieve some "heavy" sounds, but they lack real power, the notes all squish together in a big mush. And it feeds back horribly.

getting any kind of deffinition would be a miracle with this thing. "

Comment

Harmony central reviews can be left by anyone and they don't always know what they're talking about. I've used a Metal Zone and they sound more than adequate for metal and are capable of death metal tones.

Comment

Working...
                          X