Should I buy this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy this?

OK, I have been eyeing a new amp at my favorite used music store. This one is a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectorifer. What makes this one so cool is that it is covered in purple leather, and the thing looks brand new. The guy wants $1100 for it, but he always gives me great deals, and I've established something of a friendship with him, and I do quite a bit of business there. If I were to trade in my like-new Crate Blue Voodoo Red Rocker, the 120W all tube Sammy Hagar signature one, I could probably talk him down to maybe $700. I already have a Mesa Boogie 4x12 with the Celestions and the EV's and it freakin' rocks, so this amp would fit in better with that than the Crate, and my friend does leatherwork, so I can match the cab to the head!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] What do you guys think?

Re: Should I buy this?

Well, being an unabashedly proud Recto player myself, I'd do it - $1100 for that one is a good price.

Besides, then you can walk up to women and say:
    "Hey, baby, wanna check out my purple head?"

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Well...do you like the Crate? Do you want the Recto sound more? If it's all about aesthetics, I think you'd be going in for the wrong reasons. Decide based on your "sonic needs", not on the color of the leather and how it'll match your cab. (I know...DUH!!) If that were the case, I'd have been playing Marshall heads, and with the exception of the JCM800, there aren't really any out there I like the sound of! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Comment

"Besides, then you can walk up to women and say:
        "Hey, baby, wanna check out my purple head?""

Outstanding!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

On the other hand, I have to agree with Chris. Take your favorite guitar down there, play it through it, and decide from there if it's the tone you're looking for. As a Mesa player, I'll bet you end up getting it, but you never know!

Comment

In addition to the other factors, can you afford it? Last week you posted that you lost your job, so that has to factor in -
          you gonna need that $700 in 2 weeks for rent?

If you can swing it without being homeless I'd do it, otherwise, you live in L.A.: you'll come across such a deal again more quickly than most of us would.
          Plus it's hard to tote your Mesa 1/2-stack around town in a shopping cart!
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I've played plenty of Mesa Boogies, from Triple Recs to Road Kings to Mark III's, IV's, DC-10's, and I liked them all. I will for sure bring my guitars AND most likely my cabinet(I HATE having to throw that damn thing in the back of my Tercel). I like my Crate, but I prefer the Boogie sound. I am not buying a Boogie because of the purple leather, I can get plenty of Boogies in that price range in black, I just think that the purple makes this one special. As for the $, I will be getting fat government checks while I am in school(GI Bill), and I have been selling off a few things I don't need. If I find I truly cannot afford it, I will put it on layway.

[ August 14, 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

Since your playing a Crate...hell yeah [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
              X