compressor/gate placements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compressor/gate placements

What are you're guy's thoughts on placing a compressor and gate before the preamp? I'm plannin on picking up a dbx 266 and tryin to work out in my head what my rack config should be.
    Also let me ask you guys, if you had my equipment, what configuration would you go with?
    (where would you place everything)
    ampeg vh-140c, rocktron guitar silencer, tc g major, digitech 2101 artist, bbe sonic, mesa 2:90 power amp, one mesa recto 4x12. and soon to include the dbx compressor, and a sound sculpture headtrip amp/cab switcher. (i thought the mesa amp switcher would be able to switch 2 poweramps into one cab but it cant.)
    ty
    www.SeveredSavior.com

Re: compressor/gate placements

You can run into a comp/limiter first, but that would just clip your guitar's output to the preamp (if it was next in line).
    The ideal/common setup is:
    guitar>2101(preamp)>g-major(fx)>bbe(enhancer)>silencer(noise control)>limiter(compressor/gate set to peak limit - I recommend the Alesis 3630)>power amp.

The preamp should go first since it's got a built-in compressor, and includes a noise gate, but I wouldn't use 3 gates at once (2101, Silencer, and dbx).
    I'd use the Silencer as the only noise gate and set the Comp/Limiter to keep from overloading the power amp's inputs.
    Put the bbe after the preamp and fx units to restore/improve tone, but you need the Silencer next to squash the noise generated by all 3 units.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: compressor/gate placements

thanks for the advice.
      www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Working...
      X