OK, here is the rack:

That is,
    Marshall 9001,
    BBE 422a,
    dbx Compressor,
    dbx 231 eq,
    patchbay,
    power amp.

That is a JOHNSON J-Station on top, hooked into the 9001's effects loop, for effects only.

What do I "need" next? When I say "need" what I mean is, what sort of useless TOY should I add next?

Thanks,
    atg
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: What do I "need" next?

imho you should get a real tube preamp, not an amp sim...

Comment

Re: What do I "need" next?

Originally posted by Mordor:
      imho you should get a real tube preamp, not an amp sim...
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Marshall 9001 is a real tube preamp. Or was that the joke and I just didn't get - are you saying it sucks?

Rats, I kinda like it!

atg

[ August 20, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: axtogrind ]

Comment

Re: What do I &quot;need&quot; next?

Is that thing labeled "Rack Rider" a power conditioner? If not, you might want to consider one. A tube POWER amp is my preference, but to each his own. Also, it looks like a bit of overkill on the EQ, but if it works for you, that's great. Other than that, what do YOU feel you are missing from your sound? Maybe a good multi-effects unit? I prefer stompboxes for effects myself, I like knobs that I can turn and dedicated units.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
          Is that thing labeled "Rack Rider" a power conditioner?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is a Furman power strip, but I don't think (?) it does the same quality of conditioning that, say, the PL-8 does. And mine sure doesn't have lights. But I'm not sure what the specs on this one are, so I want to look into that at Furman's site tomorrow, becuase we get a lot of storms here, and I should take reasonable care that nothing gets fried. But that is another subject...

Thanks, I will look into that.

A tube POWER amp is my preference, but to each his own. Also, it looks like a bit of overkill on the EQ, but if it works for you, that's great.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I see tube power in my future. Cool. Really, I hadn't thought of that. I mean, I never thought about the tone I could get with tube power. Cool.

And as much as I like knobs, I probably wouldn't have gone with a 31 band eq, but now that I have, I'm not sure I could "get by" with less! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Other than that, what do YOU feel you are missing from your sound? Maybe a good multi-effects unit? I prefer stompboxes for effects myself, I like knobs that I can turn and dedicated units.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those are some great points. Right now, the J-station is in the preamp's effects loop (with all the modeling turned OFF) so it is my MIDI- editable multi effects unit. But I'm with you on effects, I would prefer dedicated units so that I can take my favorite from the categories that I 'need'. And there are certainly better effects boxes than the J - as much as I love some of the J-stations features.

But you know what you said that really gets me? As much as I like gadgets, and am always tweaking, I'm pretty dang happy with my sound the way that it is.

Isn't that a kick in the head. Maybe (!) I'll just enjoy playing for a while. And when a tube power amp crosses my path, hey - I can always give it a listen! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks!
          atg

Comment

We have the Furmans with the lights in the studio. I'll tell you what, when there is nothing better going on, ie. the guy in the recording room is tuning up or something, I can spend a whole 10 minutes just playing with the little lights.

Comment

Without question get a VHT 2150! KT88's are so mazing as is the poweramp....

I am not really big into effects myself just like a little. I have an intellifex and that is perfect for me really transparent and not too much... Just my opinion though.

The 2150 though just rules!!!!!!
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

2150 is da thang to own for sure. Sure makes my back feel goood every show! But, my tone rules.

I'd say next thing, would be to ditch that J Station and get a RACK mounted piece like a G Major...

Comment

John,

I always wanted the 2150 from your review.... Finally got a chance to get one and man am I glad I did. If I was a high roller like you I would get a CAE also [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Haha, high roller? bahaha... Boy, if you knew how many bills didn't get paid and how much macaroni and cheese dinners I ate because of that thing, hehe...

I'm still out on it in a way. I love the real tube sound. But, I do like my parametric EQ to get the crunch metal edge I need with, that it wasn't really designed for. I have to wonder if there is a better preamp out there for my needs that wouldn't need an eq to get brutal and quality at the same time. Haven't found it yet though, and the unique tone I end up with is at least worthy.

Waiting for that Uberschall (I like that preamp section, but not the amp) or a 5150 Preamp...

Comment

I vote getting a tube pre amp and a a good rack mount FX unit

RaR!

Comment

Lose the BBE and the patchbay, get an all tube power amp and a good multi-effects unit. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan:
                          Lose the BBE and the patchbay, get an all tube power amp and a good multi-effects unit. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, no need to attack the BBE! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

I'll give it up when they pry it out of my calloused, stained fingers. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

atg

[ August 22, 2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: axtogrind ]

Comment

[img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] BBE

And I own several still, haha...

Comment

John Man I honestly dig my Triple Giant right now here are clips of em

Triple Giant Clip

Not my clips but a vodoo modded one. For the cash I am pleased. I have Marshall TV cab with greenbacks that breakup nicely and an extra 4" that give it a bit more bass. I am so happy with it

Comment

Working...
                              X