so I tryed that marshall mode four out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so I tryed that marshall mode four out

anyway I tryed that marshall mode four out with the matched cab and I kinda thought it sucks for the money you pay for it and heavyiest tone you could get out of it was just a bit better than the Valvestate witch only sound good on 6 or 7 lol ! you'd figure they could come up with something better than that after all these years hey , I mean if you want a good rock tone it would be great but for metal it's kinda lame cause it's got no headroom ! what did you guys think ? //Steve

Re: so I tryed that marshall mode four out

Over priced under engineered and uninspiring piece of marketing genius.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't like it much either.
      For the money you pay it should definitely sound better.

Comment

I checked one out a few weeks ago and thought it had some good sounds but it is about $700 more than it is worth for the head alone. Much better options out there for the buck.

Comment

Wow, people are agreeing with me? What's up with that??? haha...

Bill hates it too...

Comment

No question that Amp Sucks...
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I saw Shadows Fall twice last week and their rhythm player had one. I can say it looks cool but he was doing the tone off the album so I did not get to really hear what it's got.

I've never been a Marshall fan though, I feel that much like gibson they are way overpriced.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

When I saw Shadows Fall last week, the rhythm player with his Mode 4 sounded absolutely crushing, waaaaaaaaaay better tone than the album, full and powerful and absolutely insanely heavy....He had some sort of pedal on top of his amp though, so maybe he was overdriving the amp a little more or something....Regardless, I was very impressed with the sound he had that night....the lead player sounded huge with his DSL's or whatever they were too [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i was playing a early 80's MOSFET 100 LEAD solid state Marshall GC had used cheap. It was far superiour to any valvestate, or solidstate marshall they made since. it didnt have over the gain of the nwer one but the TONE was 100Xs better. & it didnt sound bad in lower gain setting were i think most SS amps sound like crap.

Comment

Its for the lil kids who wanna play SUM 41 and have rich parents.

The big Marshall fan I am myself, I dont really care for that Mode Four much myself either.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
                      i was playing a early 80's MOSFET 100 LEAD solid state Marshall GC had used cheap. It was far superiour to any valvestate, or solidstate marshall they made since. it didnt have over the gain of the nwer one but the TONE was 100Xs better. & it didnt sound bad in lower gain setting were i think most SS amps sound like crap.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd have to disagree with you there; I had one of those once and it's best feature was that it looked like a little
                      JCM800 head. The tone sucks compared to any tube amp, and the distortion channel
                      is worthless and weak. I got rid of that POS as fast as I could, once I stopped trying to convince myself it had redeeming virtues. A $200 Traynor Bass
                      Master will blow that thing into the weeds for early JMP-style Marshall tone.

The first 8100 Valvestate heads are the best solidstate Marshalls, most would agree. I have the 8040, which is the 2 channel 40-watt 1-12" combo version, and I can't quite bring myself to sell it. It sounds great for rock and metal, though for SRV you're gonna have to depend on yor fingers, not the amp. Just big enough for small gigs too. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

that pretty funny i guess its a matter of opinion, the guitarist in my old band had one of the 8100's & i thought it sounded like crap. so did everyone else luckily it was replaced with a bedrock after alot of raggin on by others. we used to call the the marshmellow because it either sounded thin like you were playing thru 4" speakers or it sounded like farts. it was plugged into a celestion loaded old carvin with the metal grate cover.

BTW that head looks nuthin like an JCM800 looks more like the small MKII.

Comment

The MkII has the tolex front with the little ears coming down on each side of the front panel. The JCM800 has the cloth cover for the piece above the control panel, and the head is only as wide as the control panel.

Unless the head you saw had been recabbed
                          the Mosfets had the same cab construction
                          as a JCM800, except smaller and the piece above the control panel was covered with that half-a$$ tweed cloth wheras the JCMs
                          have black cloth in that area.

The Valvestates are known for crappy pots and plugs that over time you'll lose gain and signal strength. f you didn't realize that and it happened gradualy you
                          might just gradually think the amp sucked. Luckily with mine the signal crapped out completely, and I came here looking for troubleshooting tips. A post
                          by Pete (now Twisteramps) and I bridged the loop with a patch cord, and she's been screaming ever since with that 6" Boss patchcord in the loop!

Oh, and listen to anything by Death or Eidolon; that's a VS8100 in both cases, which seemed to work and sound
                          pretty good for them. It IS down to your own taste in the end, though.
                          The only decent sound I got from the Mosfet was a pretty good AC/DC crunch
                          from the clean channel pushed. he distortion was useless, and without a
                          footswitch the distortion channel was
                          the default. I didn't like it too much.

[ August 26, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Hey Steve, Did you try that Mode 4 at Wentworths, when I bought your guitar there, thats what i played it through, and its just a peice of crap, its so tinny and not much gain at all.... 300 watts my A$s, try 30 its amrketing scam to waste my money and yours, the only reason they sell is beacuse some guitarist from a band named after a soap bar SOAD plays it. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Guitar is great steve [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                              I'd have to disagree with you there; I had one of those once and it's best feature was that it looked like a little
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">its best feature [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

I almost bought an 8040 at a pawn shop...
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X