Crate sounds GOOD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crate sounds GOOD?

Crates are crap, and they are around because they are cheap. Simple as that.

Tone is very user defineable, and it's easy to make any amp sound like ass if you are tonally challenged. And if you can play well, and are adept, you'll make a Crate sound passable.

So, if the MESA guys were tards, and the Crate guy was on his game and dialed, it's easy to see where this could go.

Comment

My old crate head has been good to me for years and has never failed. I wouldn't call it crap, if it were I'd have sold it long ago and got something else. I have also jammed with a few guys with more expensive tube amps and they couldn't believe the tone mine had and how well it could "hang" with theirs. A buddy of mine just bought a new peavey 5150 and he likes playing through my rig better! It isn't the best I'm sure but its a keeper. (plus its paid for!)
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I've alway been a tube guy and would never change but last Sat. I played thur some Crate s.s. amp head into an older Peavey slant 4X12(that it was hooked into)and loved the tone! I don't remember what model it was but it sound absolutely incredible dirty and clean! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Crate amp was one of my first amp about 15years ago.
          I thouht it sounded good at the morment.
          These days,there are many amps that would sound WAY better than any Crate amps.
          And some are even chaper.

Comment

I have a Crate DXJ112 modeller with the foot controller. I got the whole 60w 1 x 12" combo with 128 presets for around $300.00 brand new. It sounds fantastic. I also have Crate 4 x 12 bottoms that sound as good as my 1960a's or Mesa's. It is all in the set up.

Comment

I used to have one of the Gallien-Kreuger ML250 combos a long time ago.

It was a 50watt/channel stereo amp with two 4" or 5" inch speakers. Chorus and reverb(no control over the effects though, just on or off)It was a pretty cool little amp, the thing screamed.

It also had an XLR out in the back to hook it up through a PA.

I'd like to find another one.

DRH

Comment

Working...
              X