Johnson J-Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson J-Station

Anybody here tried one? I'm thinking of buying a used one as an alternative to the 400 bucks I'd have to spend for a POD. How do they compare?
    Mark
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Johnson J-Station

Well for the 79.00 they were going for at GC during Labor Day..great! Outside of price.. I think the J-station can get some good sounds, and with the computer software edit are midi to computer..it's quite flexible. Don't pay more than 80-90.00 for one..they've dropped quite a bit in price.

Comment

Honestly, I played with the idea of getting one of these but in the long run, I'm so glad I splurged(after saving my pennies... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) and got the POD XT. I really believe you'll be disappointed with the J-station but do yourself a favor and go and try different units like this first at a guitar center or something like that. Just a thought [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I bought a J-Station over a year ago, to get a feel for PC-based recording. It came with Cakewalk Guitar Tracks, and that alone was worth the purchase price. I wouldn't use a J-Station as the basis for my guitar tone in a live setting, but I think that the presets are geared toward getting a good recorded sound. The bass models are also good, which was a major factor for me. There are many more possibilities if you go beyond the presets and create your own tones, but I've never gone that far. Once I got the hang of recording with the J-Station and Cakewalk GT, I built a PC with an Echo Mia recording card and use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. Sometimes I think I was better off with just the J-Station, because it's easy to use.

The POD probably has better models overall, but the J-Station is more of an all-in-one recording package, and well worth getting.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
          Honestly, I played with the idea of getting one of these but in the long run, I'm so glad I splurged(after saving my pennies... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) and got the POD XT. I really believe you'll be disappointed with the J-station but do yourself a favor and go and try different units like this first at a guitar center or something like that. Just a thought [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah Budman, I'd like to have a pod too but we're not all as financially independent as you are! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          As Dave knows I've tried recording with my quadraverb but the cab sim on it kinda sucks, I'm just looking for something to play around with and the j-station seems to have pretty good reviews and the best part is they're CHEAP (like me!) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Thanks for the input guys.
          Mark

Dave->
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Yeah Budman, I'd like to have a pod too but we're not all as financially independent as you are!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ my financial independence! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just remember Mark, I know how much you've been spending on guitar stuff lately.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . But don't worry, I won't tell the wife.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Good luck in your choice bud [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
            Dave ->

Comment

For the price they are great. Also look at the Behringer V-Amp2. It is around the same price and it is KILLER!!!!!!

Comment

I have one and am pretty happy with it...don't let the cheap price fool you [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] For 90 bucks or so its worth the gamble.

All of the mp3s on my site were done with the J-Station

http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/shawnlutz/

The XT is it -- but too expensive right now IMHO, paying too much for effects that you'll never use or use sparingly. If you are just wanting something record ideas without shaking the house (which is what I use mine for) you can't go wrong. I certainly wouldn't record an album with any amp modeler.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Good point Shawn, but Chameleonfong(sp?) pointed me to a great deal that was going on and I just couldn't refuse getting the XT for $300.00 even. I just couldn't say no to that! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Dave->
                  Dave ->

Comment

I use the Blackface sound all the time. The recto is a decent scooped mids mesa dupe. The boutique, the Brit stack can be pretty cool with some tweaking.
                    If you hit the guitar wars website..there's a guy by the name of Kaizen who I recall reading uses a J-station on some of his stuff.

If you want to get a ballpark idea.. try this link. J-station

The J-station isn't a high end POD, but give it and the rest of the competition a try. For me, I find it does some decent sounds..but I based my decision upon cost going with what I deemed most budget worthy for the application of recording basic ideas into a cassette deck for working out concepts.

[ September 05, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Well guys, I bought one off the bay (NIB) for 85 bucks. If I don't like it I'll put it back on the bay and get at least most of my money back. In that case Dave said he'd loan me the rest of the money so I could get me a pod. He's a great guy!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 05, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]

Comment

I love mine. It isn't a pod, but I love that it has bass models too, and I use the J Edit software and the s/pdif out. A winner for $90.

See also, the J-Station forums at www.johnson-amp.com.

atg
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Dave, if you tell my wife I'll have to come move in with you....now you wouldn't want that would ya?? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I got the j station yesterday and I think it sounds great considering the price (85.00). The only neg I could find is that the factory presets kinda suck but they are easy to copy and edit. I have got some awesome tones from it and I haven't even had time to play with it much. My opinion: Most bang for the buck for sure!

Comment

Sold my POD and got a J-Staion long ago -- I'm happy with the J-Station for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X