• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of this preamp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/42826

VHT Valvulator GP3. There is more info on www.vhtamp.com

Looks pretty nice to me

Re: What do you guys think of this preamp

It's certainly one of the better preamps on the market right in that price range. Flexible (MIDI controlled) and built by one of the best companies out there.

I've heard them and they are pretty kick ass. Nice chug, and a good heavy distortion. EQ etc... way cool.

Comment

The clips of them I've heard sounded pretty cool, and I assume they're of the unit cranked pretty well out. I've played one at NAMM before, at lower volumes and, while it "felt" good to play, it didn't quite do it for me. I'd expect it to sound MUCH better to me in my rack with other goodies to help it at the lower volumes I need. The potential for good sound seems to be in there.

NOTE about the MF site on those. It was confusing to me how MF and other stores NEVER showed these darn things in stock. I contacted Stevie Fryette at VHT and he said that these things are totally on a "special order" basis at stores. So, assuming that, if you order one, you should get it within a reasonable amount of time, but that could include actual build time, and it's something to keep in mind, and so you know not to just sit waiting for it to show as available on a site before you order one hehehe.

Stu

Comment

I had the same concerns, because it's a "special order" kind of item from these stores, and not kept in special stock, because a lot of stores view "special orders" as you-buy-it-you-keep-it.

I was assured by Stevie Fryette at VHT that Musician's Friend WOULD take these items back as returns with no problem if you weren't satisfied with them. We were specifically talking about MF, so I don't know about other stores. Definitely verify this with the store that it's their policy (and get any names, signatures, fingerprints or DNA samples of anyone you talk to for proof hehe) and hopefully you can at least buy it without fear of getting stuck with it. If/when I ever get the money for some more gear, I might consider getting one myself.

Suck thing is, these were just over $1000 a year ago...for some reason, they suddenly think it's worth a few hundred bucks more now.

BUT buy it HERE--QUICK if you want one!! Some stores haven't upped the price yet, like MF have... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=83522

Stu

Comment

any other opinions? id really hate to waste 1.5grand on one of these things.

Comment

Working...
          X