Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Voodu Valve Opinions

Hey everyone,
    I would like to know what you guys think of the Voodu Valve. I'm looking into it because i would like a great sounding preamp that can meet all my needs (cleans, leads, rythems, ect.) for live situation use. To name a few examples, I want something close to Eddies' "brown sound"; Marty Friedman's lead tone; Eric Johnson's clean; and something that can overdrive my Metaltronix (what i would be using it through) to a nice tube overdrive. You guys think this thing could cover all those? Let's hear some opinions! Thanks!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 07, 2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: john ]

Re: Rocktron Voodu Valve Opinions

It's a fine preamp, I've used mine live for years till I went CAE.

Not sure it would work so great through an already dirty head, but maybe. Mine does awesome through a clean tube power amp.

It isn't exactly Vanhalen or Eric Johnson. But, you could get pretty close I think.

It is very brutal when needed, did Pantera better than Dime did, haha. The noise gate helps keep it useable under serious gain.

The cleans are pretty darn good, I used it live for stuff Priest "Beyond the Realms of death", Metal Church "Watch the Children Pray" and lotsa Savatage intros, was always very happy with it.

It has a awesome EQ section, speaker emulators, different selectable tube gain structures. Along with some cool built in effects, it's a nice unit.

I don't think you'd be too dissapointed. The ONLY dtrawback, is I felt it was just a little dead sounding in some ways compared to a nice tube preamp like tha CAE. But, it is much cheaper, so that's the breaks. I still have mine and love it.

Best plugged into a tube amp. Heard them into solid state stuff and wasn't happy.

Comment

Thanks for posting a reply, Cleve! I always have my Metaltronix kept at a REALLY lite crunch, and run a preamp in front of it. I love the sound i get when i have a preamp running, and the Metaltronix cranked. That's what im planing on doing with the Voodu Valve as well; Just basically running the Metaltronix just for the wattage. Thanks! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Yup--what he said!

The Voodu is an awesome all-in-one type unit. Great sound overall, great feel...I got the same kinda "dead" hole in there, like the Clevemaster, but your amp might liven that back up, who knows. No way to really know until you try.

Stu

Comment

Working...
        X