Preamp help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp help

I´m a new rack owner and I´ve just sold my Rocktron Piranha. I´m seraching for a non midi preamp, 1 or 2 he size. I play heavymetal/death metal most of the time in a band situation. Do you guys have any suggestions? Is the ENGL 530 a thing to look after??

Re: Preamp help

Here are some ideas:

Soldano SP-77
    Carvin Quad-X
    Mesa Boogie Quad
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Sad to say, having used them all, those preamps will be somewhat hard to get the serious chug and distortion death metal generally requires.

Even the Engle lacks it a bit with out help.

With enough EQ and a guitar preamp like the EMG81 with an EMG PA-2 preamp to slam the input, you "might" coax enough out of any of those pieces however.

You don't "have" to use the MIDI function of a MIDI preamp of course, and use it like a regular preamp. At which point a Rocktron Voodu Valve would be a good possibility. They are VERY heavy sounding units.

I'm told the old Peavey Rockmaster is a cheap, simple and very heavy sounding preamp. I'm looking to try one myself soon.

[ September 07, 2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

I have a SP-77 and like it, I run it into a mesa 2:90 with the Deep mode on into a recto 4x12 and its sweet... its sweet for playing them low tuning cos the bass is pretty damned tight + you have the sweet soldano lead tone [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

oh yeah... nice clean tone

RaR!

Comment

The Quad X rips. I play super heavy stuff and the gain on channel 4 is on 5 tops. Channel 3 works really good too with a DOD YJM308 preamp in its effects loop. It doesn't have enough gain on channel 3 for death metal without a little help but channel 4 certainly does IMHO.

Comment

I have a Carvin Quad with the footswitch that I might be willing to sell. I also have a Rocktron Pro Q that I might be able to part with as well. Those two should enable you to get any tone. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Darin

Comment

listen to cleveland metal - those old peavey's rock. (which one did rodrigo have?)
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

It can be MIDI... any good midi preamps out there?

Comment

A lot of people like the old ADA MP-1's and 2's. They are MIDI programmable preamps.

You can also control a Mesa Boogie Quad pretty effectively with a MIDI device such as a MIDI octopus etc. that has the 1/4" outputs.

There are also the Digitech 2101's, Rocktron stuff...

It all comes down to what you want for a sound, and how much you are willing to invest.

I personally prefer rack gear, due to the possibilities it entails, but it can be expensive.

Comment

Cleveland is correct. Peavey Rockmaster is the ticket. I'm on my second one. The first I sold because I was stupid. It's scream to be playing death metal. I play heavy rock, not death, and I have to be careful EQing it so it doesn't sound like thrash. It's so tempting. They are inexpensive too and I've never had either of mine fail.

Rockmasters have 4 12AX7's, 3 channels, 1 rackspace, use 1/4" footswitch for channel switching, and have a bunch of 1/4 outputs/loops to hook up in any flavor you chose. It is not MIDI. I hope you find one.

Comment

Hmm, I plowed the whole Peavey website but couldn't find anything resembling the RockMaster.
                      Doesn't Peavey make a preamp anymore?

Comment

No, they're long out of production. EBAY...

Comment

there was a rockmaster on ebay last night.

Can someone describe the distortion in more detail for me? Does it eat a 5150 for breakfast? Because, I was going to just pick up a 5150, its what my brother plays...and its what our other guitarist is going to pick up. But, I"m poor...and if it will mesh well with the 5150 tone..i'd be much happier spending a measly 150 dollars or so. than 500 for a used 5150 head.

Are they comparable?

Comment

When I had a Rockmaster for a short while, it definitely had gain in there, but the sound was very much the "rounded tubey" kinda sound, not like thrashy metal sound at all. It was a meaty kinda sound like my Egnater has that I think possibly COULD sound great to me with just the right mix of support gear. At the time, my BBE didn't help it enough, and I'm not sure--don't think I had my rack EQ or Behringer Ultrafex Pro yet. I'd like to get a Rockmaster again sometime just for kicks and try it, now that my setup is a good bit more complex and suited towards pushing the all-tube kinda preamps like this one.

Stu

Comment

hmmmm thanks for the information on that. I don't want to be buyin gall that other rack crap to get it sounding how I want it.

looks like the 5150 is gonna hold its own in my quest to save money.

Comment

Working...
                              X