tight bottom end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tight bottom end

by having an emg81 in the bridge and using a dual recto does it tighten up the lowerend and give rid of that ud.does the markIV have a tighter low end than the recto.how does the mark IV lead chanel compare to the dual rectos channel 3

Re: tight bottom end

If you want to get rid of the thud in the low end, try turning the bass down a bit. The Mark series seemed to be a bit more mid-heavy than the Rectifiers, at least from what I have played.

Comment

ive turned the bass all the way off and it sounded the same pretty much.like when i palm mute its not tight but muddy

Comment

Typical Recto complaint; loose ass low-end. Then again, most of that resonance cut-off is in you HANDS. You gotta have complete control of how that string is vibrating, man. 81's really help, so does less gain.

Comment

I run an MXR 10 band eq thru the effects loop of my Single Recto and it helps out with the overall sound. Less flubby bass and fizzy high end...more monstrous overall. Even w/o the eq my bass is only on 3-4.

Comment

"loose ass low-end" My reason for not owning MESA Rectos...

Bummer, cuz they do have some other cool nuances. But, I can't get past their spongy flubidity...

Comment

Date a stripper! All that dancing usually makes for a nice, tight bottom...

Oh, wait...you mean AMP. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I really think owning a Triple makes a difference in this for me - the bottom end is never really "flubby" on my amp. (Supposedly, the Triple drives the power section differently and "tracks" faster.) The cab is ultra-important, though - when I play through a regular Marshall cab, the bass isn't anywhere near as tight.

One thing I've found in dialing in Recto sounds - set it brighter than you think you can stand it, then add in some bass until it evens out. Still, I can't get the bass knob above 9:00 or so without the bass becoming dominant. (I know EMGs have a little less bottom than the JB7 I use, so you may have more options.) Try opening up the top end - I found I had to use A LOT more presence than I ever thought I would.

ERock's right, too - a lot of how the bottom end behaves is in your picking and muting technique. Try moving the mute point on your right hand a bit further from the bridge, and see if it tightens up. (I seem to mute further out than most people, prolly 'cause I beat the crap out of the strings.)

(Damn, I was out WAY too late seeing Death Angel last night - I had to edit this TWICE!)

Hope something in this ramble helps.

Mike

[ September 11, 2003, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Michael ]
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Buy a good EQ pedal or rackmount unit. The more bands the merrier. I have a 31 band rackmount EQ I picked up for $15 a while back and it's such a useful tool to have around it's not funny.

Comment

i thought the recto was better.like toght bottom end and less fizzy and more sounding like metal is shredding and the tightest sickest palm mutes.i was dissapointed.does the mark 4 have all that mud to.also does it have a tighter bottom end adn the same gain as a recto.

Comment

Gee, fine, Don't answer my question [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

He's not using any cab, John, nor does he have a Recto. He's like 11 or something. He's just playing stuff at Guitar Center and asking questions.

Comment

Ahhhh... Thanks Chuck. I shoulda known... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

right now i have abetter sound than the recto with my boss gt-3 played through a crate gfx15 amp

Comment

ooookay. It is probably your playing or your ears... Try cleaning them with Q-tips. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by prsk87:
                              right now i have abetter sound than the recto with my boss gt-3 played through a crate gfx15 amp
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Finally, tonal supremacy is achieved! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X