Good pre-amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good pre-amp

OK, I am right about to buy a VHT 2150 and I wanted to know what you guys think would be a GOOD pre-amp to go into that beast. I am getting the 2150 because I want to play stereo effects, and I already have all the effects I want in stompboxes, I just want a really killer distortion for death metal. Articulate though, not just over-the-top mush. I want a tone that can go from making grown men weep to cutting through their very souls with razor sharp death metal distortion. Any suggestions?

Re: Good pre-amp

I know the answer will be a Custom Audio Electronics 3+...

Comment

OK, I looked at the CAE's, and while they look great, they are WAY out of my price range. I spent a good deal of money on that used 2150, and I am looking to spend not really more than $500-600 for a used preamp that meets that description. Any other suggestions?

Comment

I think the Marshall 9001, with three channels (three 12ax7's, one for each channel) would be great. Well, maybe not for the death metal. And maybe I'm just saying that because I've ended up with two, and will be listing one in the Classifieds.

OK, don't listen to me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

atg
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

A friend of mine just bought a Voodu Valve preamp and I thought it absolutely rocked! I don't think he spent anywhere near 500 bucks and I'm sure there are better ones in that price range but I would suggest you check one out if you can. Don't quote me but I think it was around a couple hundred bucks (used). It has a nice warm & thick "over-the-edge" crunch with a lot of saturation and depth. He plays death metal (I don't) and he loves it.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have a gp 1000 that is none of those things. It's fukkin loud, and fukkin british sounding. It's not mushy at all. In fact...its just loud.

I like it actually. it works really well for cutting through the mix for leads...competing against a huge ass 5150 in that mix. too bad i'm not much of a lead player. HAR HAR.

alright I"ll stop wasting yoru time now. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm, when I find what you described, I'll tell ya!!! You are seeking the holy grail my son.

The CAE is nice, but takes a lot of tweaking... And still seems a little lacking without parametric eq...

Comment

I am going to check out the voodu. That's what the guys at West L.A. music reccomend, and they are all metalheads. I'll let you guys know what I think of it. Right now my rig is looking like 300 hand wired tube watts of Metal Zone!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ September 18, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
                  I have a gp 1000 that is none of those things. It's fukkin loud, and fukkin british sounding. It's not mushy at all. In fact...its just loud.

I like it actually. it works really well for cutting through the mix for leads...competing against a huge ass 5150 in that mix. too bad i'm not much of a lead player. HAR HAR.

alright I"ll stop wasting yoru time now. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">With 300 watts of tube power the VHT dwarfs the 5150. Being heard will not be a problem with this power amp. If I take the stage with Matt Pike I might have problems, but mere mortals will be driven into dark corners like rats to feed on what frequency scraps I choose to throw them.

[ September 19, 2003, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

triple rectifier, and a tsl 100, if thats not enough wattage I have a 2200 watt power amp a 1200 watt power amp, and a 400 watt power amp.

I am loud, and I sound good. Peolpe can say what they want about Mesa equipment and New marshalls, mine do the job.

For Death Metal and a preamp, the CAE is super sweet.

Comment

Since they're damn cheap, grab a ProGAP and a good EQ and see how you like it. Even at its most distorted it has clarity, as least with the setup I was using it did. For under $100 you can't beat it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, I'll be at the High on Fire show tomorrow night. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Can't freaking wait! Time to see if Pike's Rig of Doom lives up to its legend. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

VHT is a great choice. I'm buying the 2902 soon. Death Metal preamp for cheap is the Peavey Rockmaster. 4 12AX7's, 3 channels, standard 1/4 in" footswitch. The Ultra gain channel has a push pull feature that really adds some edge. The Rockmaster's scooped mid sound is certified Death. Look on eBay.

Comment

I bought and returned the voodu. Spent many hours tweaking it, and cleveland kindly spent some time helping me with tweaking suggestions, but i just couldnt get it to lose a certain dead quality in the tone. Also the low end was plentiful, but not as tight as i would have liked it. I have been using a digi 2101 artist for years and to me it wasnt worth the 600 for the voodu. Im able to get pretty damn close to my ideal tone with the 2101 so im just stickin with it till i have enough saved for the engl e580.
                          The voodu Is a great preamp though, you might love it, who knows.
                          www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Bummer about the Voodu. But, I only paid $205 for mine! You should be able to get them for $300-350. I've had the 2101 and I think 2110 and didn't like them too much, so chances are we have a different idea we are seeking. They are a bit alive sounding than the Voodu.

But hey, you certainly can't say you didn't try to get it to work. It's deep really, but, you worked with it more than many would. Bear in mid it took me months to get it to my taste. Better to take it back (at $600) and wait till you could find a cheaper one though IMO. Actually I hated them demoing them in the store and passed them up for a couple years really. It took getting one cheap and playing with it a while before I decided I really liked it,

And I'm STILL tweaking the CAE everyday (a year or two later) trying to get it more to my taste, haha... Yeeesh...

[ September 21, 2003, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

The ADA MP-2 running thru a BBE Sonic Maximizer would be what I suggest. You can get both units for about 350. If you dont like them they are very easy to resell.

Pete
                              www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

Working...
                              X