Good pre-amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good pre-amp

Of course, there always Bills preamp, it's hard to find modded so thoroughly like his though... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

oh dude, if i woulda gotten it for 200-300 bucks I ABSOLUTELY would have kept the voodu. Much like the Voodu, the 2101 is capable of some great death metal tones, if you spend the time to tweak it right. I obviously didnt spend enough time tweaking the voodu. But even if i had, i wouldnt have been able to get rid of that unexplainable "dead" aspect of the tone. The way i see it, i've recorded with and played live with my current setup for years, might as well put that 600 bucks towards the engl preamp. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      Anyways, sorry to kinda get side tracked from yer topic ace. Like others have said, voodu valve, 2101, peavey rockmaster are all pretty damn good preamps for death metal.
      www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
        Of course, there always Bills preamp, it's hard to find modded so thoroughly like his though... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hahaha dude thats ****in classic. i love the "buzz fart and hum" knobs.
        www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

yeah, i bought it new. The online version made in korea. I have heard the same about the older non-online american made units sounding better, but when i spoke to rocktron on the phone they said the internal components are the exact same, and their should be no noticeable tonal differences between the 2 units. Quality of manufacturing might be a different story though.
          www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Actually the VHT 2150 is 105W per channel RMS, most people think they are 150 because of the model name.
            I've had my 2150 now for maybe a couple years after owning a bunch of Mesa's (2:90, 295, rackto's etc.) and it's definitely the best power amp I've had the pleasure to play through. My preamp of choice is the Rocktron Prophesy. I've owned both the Carvin Quad X and CAE 3+SE preamps and I kept going back to the Prophesy. The tone you are looking for is pretty much what I've been searching for for years...and with my Prophesy I'm pretty much as close to that tone as I ever can be. I've used multiple eq's and other stuff, but pretty much now it's a US Jackson (with EMG 81/85) through the VHT, Prophesy, BBE 422A, an EMG preamp booster and out through 2 Mesa Recto 4X12's and 2 Mesa halfback 4X12's (1 with 100W Celestions and the other with 2 EV/2 Black shadows). I've come to the conclusion over the years that keeping it as simple as possible is the way to go. I couldn't be happier with my sound. I can go from classic "Crazy Train" tone to Megadeth "Rust", to Testament/Pantera balls out. Those V-30's in the Recto cabs are killer BTW.

- Joel

[ September 21, 2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Joel Drabicki ]
            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
            RIP Dime

Comment

Anyone else hear the SansAmp PSA-1? I was checking one outh the other day and I really dug it. Can anyone compare it to maybe the Voodu or Peavey?

Comment

I've had the PSA-1, Voodu, and the Rockmaster, at various times.

I've actually had the PSA-1 more than once, wanting so much to like that darn thing. Owned one of the newer ones, returned it, then a few years later I found one of the original ones, which I'd heard was supposed to be "more gainy". Eh, neither did it for me...just very solid stateish in sound and feel, to me.

The Voodu would be the one of these 3 I'd pick if I had to pick between them at this point. All around, like the Chameleon and Prophesy, an awesome package of built-in features. However, it has a little bit of a hollow, dead spot in the sound that just kinda killed it for me.

The Rockmaster, to me, MIGHT be a decent all-tube type preamp, but I'd have to get one into my current setup to make a better determination. Preamps like that need a ton of extra things to sound like I want them to, whereas something like the Voodu has much more built into the unit to help the sound get "there" without needing as much help, for me. Otherwise, without a lot of other stuff to alter the sound, it's just thick, tubey beef, to me...not the thrashy metal sound I like.

Stu

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Want I really want to do is to sit down with all of them and play them through my gear, but it seems like every store I go to only has one of the ones that I am considering. If I can compare them side by side I will be happiest:d

Comment

Gilbert: did you buy it new? I ask because I keep hearing that the older Voodu with the picture of the tribal guy on it sounds much better and they are cheaper.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

If you are lucky, maybe you could find a used M/B Triaxis for that kind of money?

Comment

Originally posted by StuTDavis:

The Rockmaster, to me, MIGHT be a decent all-tube type preamp, but I'd have to get one into my current setup to make a better determination. Preamps like that need a ton of extra things to sound like I want them to, whereas something like the Voodu has much more built into the unit to help the sound get "there" without needing as much help, for me. Otherwise, without a lot of other stuff to alter the sound, it's just thick, tubey beef, to me...not the thrashy metal sound I like.

Stu
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I tried a Rockmaster in a used place, was amazed at the sound, bought it. But now I find I can't use it without some outboard EQ to push up the low end otherwise it sounds thin.

Comment

Working...
                        X