If money were not an issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If money were not an issue

What Amp Multi effect would you use for practice mainly through the headphones? Looking for people who have used these. I have used the Vamo2, Its ok, Have tried the GT6. Sounds good, but it may be overkill.

Havent tried the POD, yet.

Vamp2?

GT6?

Pod XT?

Other?

Thanks for the advice.

Shawn in Tampa
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: If money were not an issue

What I would do would be to buy something like the POD and build a sound that you like in your headphones, then go hunt down the effects that you like and add them to your main rig. As for the different models, I thought the POD was decent, but then there was another similar piece of gear that was like $100 cheaper and sounded almost as good. I forget what brand name. Lots of help I am.

Comment

Behringer V-Amp?
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I've got a DOD GS30 that I use in my living room through a micro Marshall stack, but I can use it through headphones without an amp, too. It's one of the first floor modeling systems that came out a few years ago, and it sounds really good, nice distortion sounds and effects with programmable expression pedal.

[ September 12, 2003, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

GS30 didn't get rated too highly, in fact I like how one guy called it a Sonic Poop Factory!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

double post, see below

[ September 12, 2003, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: DRH ]

Comment

I have a Vamp2.

I use it for headphone practicing and direct recording.

It is pretty flexible in terms of different sounds. I can't comment on the accuracy of the models but I can get the sounds I am looking for out of it.

DRH

Comment

Thanks alot guys, Going with the V-amp. I mean, at a cost of $139, pedal and carry bag included, the POD just doesnt add up at $399 . I listened to all of them, and there just isn't a $260 difference, at least for my needs.
                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I have a Boss GT-3, and love it. Basically the same thing as the newer GT-6.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn:
                    Thanks alot guys, Going with the V-amp. I mean, at a cost of $139, pedal and carry bag included, the POD just doesnt add up at $399 . I listened to all of them, and there just isn't a $260 difference, at least for my needs.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shawn, you should see the diff in the prices on the rackmount versions. The V-Amp Pro is $199; the POD Pro XT is $699, at AMS or MF. That's $500 diff! Most folks will readily admit the POD does sound better, but as you say, is it worth the difference? Some say yes, many say the V-Amp's just fine, while the tube purists just shake their heads. Of course the purists shook their heads when guitars were first amplified, so what're you gonna do? Do what makes you happy, that's what!!

Have fun with it! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Rich
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                      GS30 didn't get rated too highly, in fact I like how one guy called it a Sonic Poop Factory!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, but that guy still gave it a 7 out of 10! He didn't like it because he couldn't program it, basically. The unit is several years old, so it's been eclipsed by many other units, but that doesn't mean you can't dial in good sounds with it. My old RP-7 still sounds cool, outdated though it is.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Update,

Just got home with my....Boss Gt-6. The sounds out of it are just all around better, and I ran it through a pair of md5 Powered monitors (which I also bought today), and it was pure heaven.

I still dont see all the hype with the PODXT , but to each his own. The Boss just sounded better to me than the Vamp, which, IMHO, just sounds like 50 different distortions, and a few weak Choruses.

Oh well, Time to setup my little studio!!!!

Boy, there are WAY more toys to buy for this guitar gig....Should have dropped the drums 30 years ago.

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                        X