Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes I just have to laugh...my Line 6 Duoverb from GC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes I just have to laugh...my Line 6 Duoverb from GC...

Guitar Center was blowing out the Line6 Duoverbs as most you Line6 fans know for $499. Well, the two stores here in Minneapolis sold out over Labor Day. I called to see if there were any left, but of course there weren't. "We won't be getting any more. Once they're gone, they're gone." They had a pair in Chicago though, so I called there and ordered one. $499 for a $1799 list amp ain't bad... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I figured since I was ordering out-of-state, sales tax would be waived. Nope. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] And it's 8.75% in Chicago, not 6.5% like here!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Then I paid $35 in shipping to get it here (they forgot to ship it 2 days! - ordered it Friday and it was SUPPOSED to ship that day -- it didn't ship until Tuesday evening...). Well, it arrived yesterday, but I had to go to UPS to pick it up cuz they required a signature. After that, I decided to go to GC to see what delay pedals were around cuz I knew I would need one. As I walk in the door, what's the first thing I see?!?! You guessed it! A PAIR of Duoverbs on the sales floor - $499 each! [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Oh well...so I go home, lug the gigantor box up the stairs, open it up, and guess what? FLOOR MODEL!! Someone else has already played MY amp. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Finger prints and sticky stuff... Wonderful!

Just goes to show -- other than pricing on NEW gear, the only thing GC is good at is being GC. Still got a great deal though. Woulda been nice to pick it up locally and to have it NIB as well... [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'm digging the amp, but need some more time with it - I'll comment more on it later!

Re: Sometimes I just have to laugh...my Line 6 Duoverb from GC...

NEVER EVER FREAKING BLOODY DAMNED EVER CALL GC AND RELY ON THE F**KSTICKS BEHIND THE COUNTER TO KNOW A F**KING THING ABOUT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE STORE! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    The dips**ts that work at GC straddle open pits waiting for the earth to take a steaming dump into their ass most of the time. This is because they can't tell their @$$hole from a hole in the ground, and get the whole thing backwards a lot of times. But I digress. If the place is in any kind of reasonable driving distance, DRIVE THERE. Don't rely on the people there for information. When you buy something over the phone from them, DON'T EXPECT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL. Don't expect ANY customer service actually, because the people that work there are by and large 18 year old rap-loving, Counterstrike playing, computer overclocking, ebonical ballsuckers that know DICK about archaic and outmoded concepts such as GOOD SERVICE and NOT BEING A MORON. I've had to spend way too much time on the phone with GC's across the country and they're all the same.

If they have something you want, go and get it.
    If they MIGHT have something you want, go see it.
    If you have a question about something you might want, DON'T ASK THE GC DUDES!

BTW, if it sounds like I'm being harsh on you or anything, I'm not. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Dealing with GC is a hit and miss proposition, and there are actually people out there that haven't ever had a problem with GC.

If the store never mentioned that the amp they were sending you was a floor model, call them up and tear them a new earth-poo-receptacle. Also ***** them out over the shipping charges. Getting a good deal and getting good service should not be mutually exclusive, and GC needs a few red hot pokers up their arse to prove it. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Although those are just sticks... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

And if anything I said is completely incoherent, moreso than normal at any rate, I'll explain it after I wake up. Five hours sleep in 36 hours is never good....

*FALLS OVER*

Comment

You are a poet, BM! Amen brotha!!

Comment

Sheesh, BM! Tell me how you really feel! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I suppose I shouldn't mention how they put the pedal and the manual IN the cabinet, rather than under it in the box - it knocked the speaker wires loose...NICE! [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I'm sure they just roll around in there and beat the PISS out of the innards of the amp...

[ September 12, 2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

well... im 21, but i play counterstrike sometimes, and i overclock my computer [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

good thing i dont work for GC!

~E

Comment

I am lucky. Most of the dudes at the GC near me really know their stuff, and they know lots about what's on the floor. They also cut me deals because I'm always hangin there and I spend a lot of money there...usually they don't charge me tax on stuff over $100 anymore...

Comment

Ah, got ya. I didn't understand that you had ordered it from another GC, just a different one out of state. I misunderstood and thought it was a different store entirely, not GC. It's a little more murky then, as the GC chain has a "local presence" - your nearby shop. Yeah, they can tax `ya then. I'm not sure if it's the Illinios or local rate, but they're probably correct then. (At this point, you're beyond my tax law "expertise". [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) Sorry for the confusion.

Basically, the "no sales tax" thing only applies if the company doesn't have a retail shop in your state. Obviously this isn't the case with GC. Sorry again. My bad.

[ September 12, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

I think they should at least give you some $$$ back for the condition of the amp. My impression is that the $499 blowout was for a NEW amp, not a floor model.

Comment

Elderly instruments has these for $499 also... that's where I bought my Vetta. got it in great shape when they said I would in the shape they said it would be in [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Oh well - I'm not gonna worry about it much. It's still a killer deal. I emailed their corporate office to see if they could explain it to me. I also let them know all about the condition, shipping problems, etc. We'll see if anything happens, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] I like the amp though! It'll take some getting used to though - it's a very different amp from the Flextone! Much more realistic to my ears. I ordered a Danelectro Dan-Echo and Cool Cat chorus today for it. That'll be my set-up right there! Can't wait! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
                        I figured since I was ordering out-of-state, sales tax would be waived. Nope. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] And it's 8.75% in Chicago, not 6.5% like here!!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You got hosed on the tax! Charging a state-imposed sales tax across state lines is a violation of the interstate commerce clause of the constitution. No joke. If I were you, I'd call them back and tell them you want cash back on that deal or you're sending it back and contesting the charge to your card.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by chris_olson:
                          I figured since I was ordering out-of-state, sales tax would be waived. Nope. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] And it's 8.75% in Chicago, not 6.5% like here!!
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You got hosed on the tax! Charging a state-imposed sales tax across state lines is a violation of the interstate commerce clause of the constitution. No joke. If I were you, I'd call them back and tell them you want cash back on that deal or you're sending it back and contesting the charge to your card. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I asked about that - his explanation was that because I have a Guitar Center where I live, the applicable sales tax was charged where I bought it from. But I still don't get it... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] If that's the case, then shouldn't I only be paying MN sales tax??? If anyone can give me a link to any kind of explanation, that would be appreciated...

Comment

You know working for GC as I do. There was a way you could have gotten around the extra 2% tax.
                            All the stroe you went to had to do is have one transfered in. It would have taken longer but then you could have picked it up at the store and paid your local sales tax. No shipping charge either. ( usually) Although if its out of state transfer they may charge a minimal shipping fee.
                            Next time you need something transfered to the store you go to. Have them call my store in Villa Park and ask for me. (providing we have the item in stock.) I'll be happy to get ya what ya need and let the other guy have the comission off the sale too. It's about customer service unfortunately not all GC employees see it that way. I'm lucky enough to work in a store that everybody pretty much does think that way.
                            Sometimes i wish the sales guys would remember one bad encounter spreads farther and faster than a good one.
                            BM lighten up man you just shop at the wrong GC. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] :
                            Gil

Comment

Gil: Actually I have NEVER had any problems relating to salesmen at our local GC. I go in there knowing what I need, get it, and get the hell out. Most of my experience with GC employees comes from doing customer service for Jackson. I'd get two or three calls from GC's a day needing help on warranty work or parts or something. Almost every exchange went the same way. GC guy calls with nowhere near enough info for me to know WTF he's talking about, then when I tell him to get more info for me, I never hear from him again. After a while I started getting the guitar owner's number and calling them myself so I could make sure the guy got the parts he needed. I'm not saying all GC employees are like this, just ALL THE GC EMPLOYEES I HAVE EVER TALKED TO are like this. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

illumina: I forgot to add "rap-loving, backwards cap wearing, Trans-Am driving" to the list. It's a bit of an in-joke anyway. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X