Ohm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohm question

My new VHT Pittbull combo has a 4/8/16 ohm switch. It has 2 12 inch 8 ohm speakers. Currently, the switch is set to 4 ohms for the internal speakers. I don't know if it came from the factory that way or if the previous owner set it like that.

If I want to run my 8 ohm Mesa cab with the combo, what position should the switch be in? I want the combo's speakers running as well as the Mesa cabinet's speakers.

My Mesa cab only has 1 input and from my Recto head I run it from the 8 ohm port.

Re: Ohm question

With the 4 ohm load in parallel (I'm assuming...most amps have the speaker jacks wired in parallel) with the 8 ohm Mesa load, you will have 3.2 at the transformer.
    I think.
    I would either, a: Not ty it, wire the speakers in series for a 16 ohm load and get a 16 ohm 4x12, or
    b: Try it and be assured that VHT is quality stuff and your output transformer won't do a Hiroshima impersination. Maybe.

Comment

Fergot to mention that the lower ohmage speakers or load will be getting most of the power.
      All in all, while mismatches won't kill you amp, it's just not a good way to go.

Comment

I emailed VHT and asked them the same question and Steve Fryette emailed me back and told me to set the ohm switch to 4 ohms. He didn't mention anything about earth shattering explosions...

If I really wanna be safe I can disconnect the internal speakers and go straight thru the 4x12 at 8 ohms propersly.

Comment

I'd set it at 4 ohms and save Steve's email. If your tranny blows, remind him
          he told you how to set it and didn't warn
          of a problem, and attach his email to prove he said it. He would probably take
          care of the repair for you in that situation, which in turn makes me think it wouldn't be a problem. 3.2 ohms isn't
          that much lower than 4, as opposed to a 2 ohm load that might be a big problem.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X