X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC 1140 Parametric EQ

Thinking of getting one!

Pro's and con's on the baby, please!

How is parametric, better/worse in comparrison with the Graphic? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: TC 1140 Parametric EQ

Nooo, I'm still trying to find one... Don't look!! You umm, don't want that. umm.. Really... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Okey, Cleve what kinda sick (seek) joke is that?
      You are not looking for one, are you?

[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Parametric eq's offer the ability to sculpt the tone a lot more than a graphic eq, but the disadvantage is that their harder to dial in. The best way I can describe how they work is, you pick the frequency you want to equalize, how much cut or boost you want it to have, and how big you want that particular frequency to be in the scheme of things. With graphics, pretty much you just cut or boost the frequencies. I was told right before I got mine that they are harder to dial in and understand, and they are, but once I actually bought it and spent an afternoon messing with it I caught on pretty quick to how it worked and even got some cool tones.

Comment

Cleve...
          I live in another continet so surely u can not blame me for getting one! As i can be upset while u get all the great deals for things in the States i can get hands on some good deals too, right?
          I just wna tto know is this the kind a thing a guitarist need to specify his sound?
          Is it really more convinient for PA's?
          I dont mind messing around with it, dialing it just right, especially when a graphic one, cost me the same $ (around 250$ is alesis 230)
          So in my shoes you would go for the graphic or parametric?
          I think i really need one to extra define my sound, although i ply only rhythm. And sometimes what i have is not enough!
          You see with three guitars at the same time it is hard to tell the differenece without a good sistem behind (me).

Comment

Dude, I'm just messin with you. Being they are made in Switzerland I think, you may be more likely to see them on Euro Ebay anyways, for a better price than here.

They are very useful for some things. It sorta depends on the amp and what you want. They help a lot to dial in certain freqs and define frequency ranges that the amp may not be designed to focus on.

I have a CAE3+se, one of the better preamps around, and I still use a (furman/noisy) Parametric to accenuate the metal oriented tones out of it I want that it really isn't designed to accenuate.

I'd say, a parametric will definitely help you to dial in a unique sound, something cloeser to what's in YOUR head than say the amp designers. Or dial out some unwanted freqs that are bothering you.

I wouldn't really say it's more convenient for PAs. PAs just amplify what you provide them.

If you mean using it IN a PA rack, they can be helpful to dial out resonant freqs that are causing feedback and other things that might not be loud enough or too loud etc.

I have an Alesis 231 and am not too amazed by it. It has its uses and sometimes, it may be all you need for a particular rig to sound good. There are lots better ones like say a Rane. But, for guitar, a Parametric is probably more useful in my opinion.

Some people use both!!

[ September 24, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Been looking for one for some time now... Just missed a chance to get a clean one for $300... Bah... Pretty hard to find really.

I'll umm, get one and tell you if it's umm cool, K? hehe...

Comment

Tc are made in Switzerland?
                [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I don't have anything to do with PA equipment so i dont need it for that!
                I am a rack maniac (it seems, i really am not) and i crave for an external EQ.
                i just wantede to know 2 things:
                -Is the paramteric the right choice, a little more time dialing in the tone is really not a problem
                - Is the TC stuff good sounding

Comment

Ahh, I was half asleep writing that, I meant Denmark, not Switzerland. Sorry.

A parametric can do a lot to your sound. My CAE is not a quite metal preamp... Until I tweak it with a parametric. All I can say, is try one, even a cheap one and see if it is doing what you need. You'll probably be impressed at how powerful they are.

TC make awesome quality stuff. Hence my reason for seeking one. Known to be some of the quietest out there as far as Parametrics go...

Comment

Working...
                  X