Good amp combo easy on the back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good amp combo easy on the back

Well this is the 2nd time I hurt my back and I've been out of work 2 weeks already so I need a good sounding combo thats not heavy to move around. The mesa 4-12 is just brutal on my back and I'm thinking of leaving that at home permanently. I like hi gain sounds I have an engl powerball so you know what I mean. I tried the line 6 spyder but it sounded like cr*p to me and the build quality was terrible. Any ideas?

Re: Good amp combo easy on the back

Well if you like the botique amps, why not go for a VHT combo?

Or you can go Marshall *ducks* [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm looking for light weight so I'm leaning towards ss. I wouldn't call engl boutique

Comment

I didn't mean that last post to sound the way it sounded to me what I meant is I do like boutique but I'm not considering Engl in that league although it is a mighty kick ass amp. I just need to baby my back as I'm getting older and I need to be lifting less lbs. cause I can't afford to be out of work for extended periods of time.

Comment

I have a VHT 2x12 combo and it's not light at all. It has casters which is great for rolling it around but it takes some effort to lift.

Comment

I was starting to have the same problem and I live in a two story with my music room upstairs.
            I went with a small 6 space SKB rack case with a Mesa 20/20 for power. The box isn't that heavy and definately not as unwieldy as a 4X12. I picked up a GenzBenz 2x12G.Lynch cab and will get another later, maybe. The 2x12's are much easier to handle and sound great. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Seriously, I dont know how you feel about Marshalls but the MG250DFX and the MG100DFX are pretty good, but hey you might be like most everyone else on this board... a (new) marshall hater, hehe.

Comment

A MESA Studio+!!! It's said to have the best distortion tone ever. Pete(twisteramp) used to have clips on it. Check with him he might still have it.

My 1.3cents of crap
                Fong

Comment

I was getting tired of lugging heavy gear as well, so I went and bought a little hybrid combo for practice and jams (still have the huge stuff for gigs). I found this little Hughes and Kettner ATS60 combo and it rocks. Not very loud, but light with great tone. I paid $75 for it, and have been smiling ever since. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Galien Krueger 250ML
                    Ampeg SS70C or SS140C
                    Crate DXJ112
                    Johnson JM60

Comment

I always thought that the 5150 combo was a nice little amp.

Comment

I HATED my mesa studio

Comment

the mesa recto verticle 2x12 is the perfect companion. i can lift it into the back of my truck all by myself no problem and i am a really small guy.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
                            I HATED my mesa studio
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had a Studio 22+ and I hated it too. I expected too much out of it I guess. It was a real let down for me. A real wimp IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
                              I HATED my mesa studio
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had a Studio 22+ and I hated it too. I expected too much out of it I guess. It was a real let down for me. A real wimp IMHO. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My understanding is that the Mesa studio+ ain't very verstile but the distortion tone is really cruncy.

Fong

Comment

Working...
                              X