For future reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For future reference

Can you hook the preamp out of one amp into the power amp in of another? I'm just trying to figure out different ways of hooking all this crap up and thought I'd ask before anything went *boom* [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They're a Peavey Supreme (Thanks again, LouSiffer!) and a Sunn Beta Lead, both heads.

Re: For future reference

Isn't this called slaving? I could be wrong...

Comment

Yes you can, and yes it is.
      Make sure to have a speaker load on each head.

Comment

Cool, thanks. Why is a speaker load neccesary on BOTH amps though?

Comment

Tube amps always require a speaker load. The one you are using for a preamp doesn't know it is just a preamp. I think that you can simple solder a 4,8, or 16 ohm 1 watt resistor(whichever one you require) between the hot and ground on a 1/4" plug and plug it into the back of the preamp head. Check with Pete (Twisteramp). He knows for sure and he also knows why it is necessary.

Comment

Weird thing, I remember my marshall 900, had a preamp out, that could run with just the standy on(mains off) and could be used without a speaker load. Like for recording or slaving. Never saw that before.

Comment

Also, assuming the amp has an effects loop, you can run a cable from the effects loop send into the input of another amp.

[ September 26, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

edit

[ September 28, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                  Can you hook the preamp out of one amp into the power amp in of another? I'm just trying to figure out different ways of hooking all this crap up and thought I'd ask before anything went *boom* [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They're a Peavey Supreme (Thanks again, LouSiffer!) and a Sunn Beta Lead, both heads.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am glad you liked the head.....it just didn't have the grunt I was looking for......then again...my Mesa didn't either till I put a set of JJ's in the power section and a set of EH12ax7's in the pre-amp.....now it sounds better in the "vintage" mode than the old tubes did in "modern" mode with the BBE......add the BBE on top of the new tubes and the parametric EQ I got off of you...and it is killer.....still need some speakers with a little more bottom end though.-Lou
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                  X