jcm 800 and jcm 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcm 800 and jcm 2000

wahts the difference betwee the two in tone.which has more gain and sounds like jimmy page on up to zakk wylde?

Re: jcm 800 and jcm 2000

The 800 has less gain while the 2000 can go from lower gain sounds to more contemporary high gain tones. Plus the 2000 has more tonal options as far as eq and so forth, not to mention separate channels.

Comment

You forgot to mention the 2000 sounds like ass, and the "old" 800 (not the re-issued crap) is capable of many of the greatest sounds we've heard over the last couple dacades...

Out of the box, 800s, are bit calm sounding, but with the right cheap outboard effects pedals etc, are some of the most serious tones ever.

If you are looking for the classic metal bad assed guitar tone, get the 800 and some misc distortion and overdrive pedals.

Wylde's sound is classic 800 with a Boss super distortion. His are bit hotter sounding than the average 800 I'd say though. 800s and a super overdrive pedal or super distortion are the sound of bay area thrash for sure.

Jimmy Pages "live" sound, is more oriented to the old super lead and MKII amps played extremely loud with some misc effe3cts like treb;le boosters etc. Most of his classic studio stuff is actually small Fender amps recorded in unique ways, he was quite the master at recording things.

Comment

Well Said... Nothing more to add. I think we can close the book on this one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Cleveland gets a gold star. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Take away Cleve's gold star. Zakk uses the SD-1 Super OVERDRIVE, NOT a Super Distortion... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

But then again, he did say super overdrive later... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

can the tsl 100 head get the tones of jimy pages solo on stairway to heaven.i dont want a metal sound like randy rhoades tone on crazy train.more like ozzy and zakk at the budakan cd.if use a chorus pedal with the tsl100 can i get tht tone.and can the tsl100 copy the sound of thejcm 800 2203.and whats the jcm 800 2210?is that just a two channel version of the 2203

Comment

Zakk uses the SD-1 Super OVERDRIVE
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Duh, You know, I actually know that. A bit early and hungover... I even have one myself... Damn, there goes my star... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

can the tsl 100 head get the tones of jimy pages solo on stairway to heaven.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ummm, no...

can the tsl 100 copy the sound of thejcm 800 2203
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ummm, no...

Comment

Zakk uses different output tubes (KT66s I think?) in his 800s, that why they sound hotter...I saw a diagram of his rig recently, he's got a Dunlop Hendrix wah and a Rotovibe, and a Boss Super Overdrive and Chorus Ensemble on his pedalboard...from there the stereo split leads it to two of his new signature Marshall heads(one for backup) and two of his old 800s with the different tubes, again one for backup, into a bunch of Marshall cabs... Really dude I think you should try and find your own tone, not try to cop someone else's. It's practical to use other guys' tones as sort of a starting point to get to what you hear in your head, but there's a fine line between using it as a basis and totally trying to copy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                  Zakk uses different output tubes (KT66s I think?) in his 800s, that why they sound hotter...I saw a diagram of his rig recently, he's got a Dunlop Hendrix wah and a Rotovibe, and a Boss Super Overdrive and Chorus Ensemble on his pedalboard...from there the stereo split leads it to two of his new signature Marshall heads(one for backup) and two of his old 800s with the different tubes, again one for backup, into a bunch of Marshall cabs... Really dude I think you should try and find your own tone, not try to cop someone else's. It's practical to use other guys' tones as sort of a starting point to get to what you hear in your head, but there's a fine line between using it as a basis and totally trying to copy it.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">6550's.....
                  "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

FYI, Jimmy Page's stairway solo was a telecaster! I don't even think it was into a Marshall either, but I could be wrong. A lot of zep stuff was recorded with a Supro practice amp.

Pete

Comment

Yea, i think Pete's right. I think i read that Page used a little Supro practice amp in the early days of Zep somewhere or another.

Comment

so whats the 2210

Comment

there's info on the different JCM800s on the Marshall site
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Good call Todd Staples.

Comment

Another part of his sound are his EMGs-

High output Active pickups+pedal+Asskicking JCM 800 glowing glass= [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

If you want the more zepish tones, the 800 will do the trick..you just need to bring the gain levels down, and really play with the amp.

you might also want to check out some Mesa gear too..like a mark 3 or 4 head

Comment

Working...
                              X