Mesa TriAxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa TriAxis

OK, I've been driving all over creation looking for a good preamp, and so far the Mesa/Boogie TriAxis is my favorite so far. I can get one used for $800, and it was used by Hole if anyone cares. I think I might pick it up, seeing as how I can rent it to friends for recording. Anyone have any experience with these things?

Re: Mesa TriAxis

Recorded with it and playing around at a friends studio!
    Greatest pre! It has everything you want on it! And produce any sound possible!

Dont have money for it, so went for ada mp-1. I've modded it with a similar mesa recto circuit!
    Sounds a bit more rough than mesa at some point. I need some extra stuff with mp-1 to get what i want, where with triyxia, you really dont.
    It has a great EQ built in, already.It's kinda paramteric, although you dont have any knobs, just some buttons and digi-display!

Built like all mesa! Though it is very expensive, you gat what you need from it!

If you don mind the money, and have worked it out with renting it, no problem!

I envy you!

Check out some reviews on Harmony central also!

And of course try it out yourslef. Several times. You know how it is done!

MAil me how things went!

Comment

I used one for over five years. With the 2:90 power amp it was awsome. However, it will always sound like a pre amp with a power amp, not a head. I wanted the head sound, so I traded in my Triax and 2:90 for a Tripple Rec, which I traded for a Road King a few months later.
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

the triaxis will sound best with the mesa 20/20 poweramp. (and trust me, it should be plenty of power)
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If our idea of good dm tone is similar, i wouldnt go with the triaxis. I had one for about a year, and every show we played i had it in the rack as backup only. With alot of experimenting and tweaking you can get a lot of really good quality tones, but it never got the tight low end grind i needed. It can come close, but it was just too flubby for me. Also the gain like other mesa's to me sounds too compressed and hissy, for lack of better words. The voodu valve would be cheaper and get a better dm tone, but it wont get as good of lead and clean tones as the triaxis.
          www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

yeah that power amp is great. Either 2:90, vht or engl power would be fine. If youve played through a recto head (dual or triple) then you should have a good idea of what the triaxis can do as far as DM tones. Too muddy for my liking.
            Too Nu-metal sounding.
            If you get the chance to try a voodu, its absolutely essential that you take out all of the bass in the pre gain eq. (cleveland's trick)
            And then pump it up in the post gain eq. This tweak works well for getting a nice tight, yet plentiful low end.
            www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Cool, it just seems to me that all the other pre-amps had too many features and not enough pure gain. I still haven't found a voodu to try out. A~s for power, I'd be playing it through my VHT 2150, so I don't think I need a 2:90. Even the guy at the Mesa Boogie store said that the VHT would sound just fine with the Mesa gear. Maybe it's because I played the Mesa stuff right after some dikhead at Guitar Renter insisted that I try a POD when I asked if they had any rackmount pre-amps. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] So I gave the POD another shot, this time the top of the line one. My opinion? [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

hmm i just re-read your first post, i didnt know you've already played through a triaxis, my bad. If you've played through one and like it, and can find it for about 700-800, go for it. Oh one more thing i forgot to mention, theres 3 main versions of the triaxis. The original wich did not have a recto board in it. I forget wich amp its highest gain mode was most similar to but it didnt have as much gain and was way muddier than the newer ones. Then theres the 2.0 version with recto board, no fat mod. This is the tightest sounding one. And the same version with the fat mod. All newer ones will be the 3rd version. Some ppl have it sent to mesa to uninstall the fat mod because its muddier. So if you can find a 2.0 with recto and no fat, that would be the one to get.
                www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Hey,I have the triaxis and the 290 poweramp.I love it.I tried almost everything out and for what I play this is the best.If you are going to get one get the version 2 without the fat mod.It has more gain and a tighter bottom end.The only thing I disagree with from the other replies to your post is that it sounds best with the 20/20.It sound best with the 290.The 290 has the deep,1/2 drive, and the modern modes that sound GREAT with the triaxis.The 290 was made to go with the triaxis.They were built for each other.I play mostly metal but I also like to play blues and the triaxis can get them both and more.It is definatley one of the most versatile preamps.Hope this helps you out.Paul

[ October 04, 2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: parntz145 ]

Comment

is it just me that think it's way too much expensive? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer the Rectifier Rackmount heads over these anyday. Matt nailed it when he said itsounds like a head and not a pre-amp/power amp. I was lucky enough to get a Soldano SLO 100R a week ago [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] and Holy Sheeeeeeeet man! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It is the cat's meow... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I also have the Racktifier and it is really nice too. I would look for a rackmount rectifer though if you are buying it purely for gain / heavy dm music.

Comment

I liked the rackmount Recto, but I haven't found nearly as good of a deal on the Recto as the TriAxis. I am going to try out an ADA MP-1 soon too.

Comment

I dont understand how people can think its to expensive?Look at the price of a uber or Diezel or soldano.With the triaxis you are getting a lot for the money.It can pull off anything from metal to blues to jazz.With a 2300 uber you are getting a 1 trick pony.Its a great pony but very limited.And the soldano prices are INSANE.Yea they are a good quality head but are they worth the money?I love mesa products and always will.Do I think they are worth the money?Well when you look at all the prices of all these other hand made amps,yes.To tell you the truth all these friggin prices are out of controll [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Paul

[ October 05, 2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: parntz145 ]

Comment

Yep. I do think the Soldano is worth every penny... I got mine for a great price and used. It is an SLO. Fully transferable warranty except for tubes and trannys.... The build quality is as insane as the price is. If you want quality stuff you gotta pay for it. I am not bashing the Boogie Preamp at all. It is a Boogie and it is high quality and it is expensive too. The SLO can do blues or metal and so can the Boogie Rackmount. No way is it a one trick pony. Anyone who says that has not used one or played with one long enough to tell the tale. I invite anyone to come over and try either one and call them one trick ponies.

Comment

Oh... The Bogner is no way a one trick pony either. I can't say for the Diezel as I have not tried one but I would probably need a good week of solid playing on one before I commented on it.

Bottom line: If you want tons of tonal changes with the push of a button then you will need the Triaxis. If you can deal with turning knobs then maybe the Racktifier is for you if you can find one cheap enough for your budget.

[ October 05, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Working...
                              X